Gladioli and Iris bulbs on the front range- winter

damos(5)June 13, 2011

Hi

This may seem a little early to be asking this question, but do gladioli bulbs need to be dug up and stored during the winter around here or can they be left in the ground?

I was once told they need to be dug up, which we did last year, but I am looking for a second opinion in case it might not be necessary.

Also, iris bulbs - the dutch nonrhizome type that look like onions. Does any one know if I'll need to remove them from the ground in the fall?

Thanks,

Damien

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dsieber(z5 (Lakewood CO))

On the gladioli bulbs need to be dug up. Not sure non rhizome Iris.

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 7:42PM
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado

Hi Damien,

If your Iris bulbs are actually Dutch Iris, they stay out in the ground year round like tulips or daffodils. That's the only one I know of that's a bulb rather than a rhizome, so if there are others, I don't know--but if they're spring blooming, my guess would be that they stay out. My Dutch Iris have foliage all summer, and don't die off completely like other "true" spring bulbs.

Dsieber is right that glad bulbs should be dug every year, but I had some right against the south side of a dark brick house one time that I never got around to digging up, and they came back just fine the next year, so it really depends on the winter and your particular micro-climate--but if you want to be sure to have them the next year, dig them up and store them.

Welcome to RMG,
Skybird

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 8:26PM
damos(5)

Thanks for the info!

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 9:53PM
More Discussions
Any Denver metro area nurseries selling seed potatoes?
I am hoping to grow potatoes this year, first time...
oakiris
New perennial bed, need some ideas and help
So, I brought this up to Skybird in another thread...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Spring Swap official site
Good Day all, Just wanted to start an official site...
gjmancini
Slice of Pi for Your Birthdate ت
My birthday is the 88,173 digit of pi! ت Do you want...
digit
How much light for seedlings...
I've started plants indoors as always. I have my seedlings...
bob_in_colorado
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™