Anyone use Garden Safe Fungicide 3 for BS?

phylrae(z5a/centralNYS)August 20, 2008

My husband has been spraying our 75 roses with chemical sprays like BannerMax and mancozeb for blackspot for years. I have a bottle of Garden Safe Fungicide 3 concentrate that I bought mainly to help with aphids...

It supposedly is a fungicide/insecticide and miticide.

Its ingredients are:

70% clarified hydrophobic extract of Neem oil

30% inert ingredients

Does anyone here use this product? Does it prevent blackspot, and how well? I doubt it could KILL blackspot spores already existing on the plant or in the soil, right?

Thanks for your help.

Phyl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

This Neem Oil product is supposed to have very good anti fungal properties. The oil is extracted from the trees seeds using alcohol. If Black Spot is a recurrent problem I would look more closely at the soil these roses grow in to see what is missing, or not in balance, that allows this disease to be so prolific.

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 8:01AM
JAYK(8b)

Oils can sometimes help with blackspot but they are much less effective than the products you have been using. You will also need frequent reapplications. And while roses growing in healthy soil will be more vigorous and better able to withstand blackspot infections, garden roses that are not resistant to this disease will become infected even in the most perfect of soil conditions. It has to do with a genetic lack of natural defenses. Hybridization of roses for flower form, production, color and so on has produced remarkable garden specimens, but they vary greatly in their ability to withstand BS infections. The best way to handle this disease long term is to grow varieties with high inherent resistance. Your local rose society is a good resource to find these out.

Bookmark   August 27, 2008 at 12:06AM
Zyperiris(Seattle)

In recent years I have attended several rose lectures..by the local TV and Radio rose experts. Every single one has poo-pooed the using of harsh chemicals in our rose gardens. If you work to have healthy soil, stick with roses a bit more resistant to diseases in your zone..and if your roses get something you can use something organic..your roses can fight off disease

Bookmark   April 23, 2009 at 10:50AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Absolutely make the soil you grow your roses in into a good, healthy soil which will grow strong and healthy plants that are better able to ward off plant diseases as well as insect pests.

Bookmark   April 24, 2009 at 6:33AM
More Discussions
Favorite Companion Plant for roses
hi Friends, I started a few (quite a few) seeds this...
mas_loves_roses1
Your holiday goals & losing weight & living healthy
Jim and I will be regulars in this forum, since we...
strawchicago 5a IL
2015 Seed Selection
Ace Hardware called me when their Botanical Interests...
damask55linen
Vinegar for black spots
I just received my Gardening Life magazine and noticed...
Millie500
Products & recipes that you love & roses that gave joy
Lately I have been shopping on Amazon instead, after...
strawchicago 5a IL
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™