Aphids & Ladys

bloomingamaryllis(5)June 23, 2009

Tons and Tons. I have so many ladybugs my plants look like they have red berries.

Should I do something about the aphids? I'm not sure if they are affecting my Japanese lilies. The buds are small. This is their first year, so I'm not sure if they are still growing or stunted.

Even the Autumn sedums have ladybugs.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

This was mentioned on the PestServ listserv today: ...In the southeast I was very impressed with the very large numbers of lady beetles present everywhere I went. Essentially all were the convergent lady beetle (Hippodamia convergens), usually the most common species in the state. There were so many that they attracted attention and comment in the Thursday Pueblo Chieftain, particularly when they were massing on walls to warm themselves.

These large numbers of lady beetles have followed very large populations of aphids on many plants. Although there were plenty of aphids on various trees and shrubs, one plant that seemed to be a major contributor to aphids - then lady beetles - was sand sage (Artemisia filifolia), which is a common rangeland plant in that part of the state. It was very heavily infested where ever I looked.

(FYI, the fact sheet on lady beetles is at:

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05594.html )

Out on a bike ride the other day here in next-to-paradise Aurora, I was coated with aphids (I'll wear a jersey that is not yellow or green tomorrow on my ride).

Dan

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 4:17PM
hlbrand(z5 CO)

Sounds like you don't have to do anything about the aphids. The ladybugs are taking care of them for you.

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 4:20PM
singcharlene(Zone 5)

I have a ton of ladybugs too! I love it!!!!

Bookmark   June 24, 2009 at 12:36AM
More Discussions
Crops That Can Thrive At Lower Temps
Hey gardening geniuses.... glad to see most of us made...
garnergarden
Hope you all found it alright!!
I think we need to do a roll call. Is anyone else reeling...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Dig your own water well?
Fort Collins City government's idea of water conservation...
ion_source_guy
Spring Swap
Hi All, as discussed at the last spring swap, my sisters...
gjmancini
Batten down the hatches!
Hi all, Well, NOAA just changed the Front Range (and...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™