What a beauty!

tapdogly(NoVA6)July 8, 2011

We bought our house about a year ago, and it has this rose bush growing about 6 feet tall. It begins blooming in early June and with repeat blooms lasting until the frost. It also has a pleaseant fragrance (sorry, don't know whether I can say the smell is strong comparing to other rose, but it sure smells wonderful!). The flower appears in long stems.

It is an absolute beauty. Do you know what is it? Belinda's dream? Peace?

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petaloid(SoCal 10a/24)

It's hard to say for sure, as there are several nice hybrid teas in that color range.

Definitely not Peace, which is yellow with a blush.

You mentioned Belinda's Dream, which is a possibility, and I'll put a photo link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Belinda's Dream photos

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 7:03PM
tapdogly(NoVA6)

Thanks, Petaloid. Yes, it does seem to be a Belinda's Dream. However, by "Googling," I learned that Belinda's Dream can reach a height of 5 feet, but this one is easily 7 feet tall. Maybe we got an extra leggy Belinda. :)

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 9:52AM
Krista_5NY

Might it be Memorial Day? Hybrid Teas can grow tall. From your pic it looks more like a Hybrid Tea than a shrub type rose.

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 12:29PM
tapdogly(NoVA6)

Great suggestion. I will browse the internet and see what pink hybrid tea fits the bill. Don't think that it is Memorial Day though: if the description of Memorial Day I saw on the internt is accurate, the fragrance of our roses probably is lighter than a Memorial Day, and the flowers are a bit smaller too.

I have avoided hybrid teas because I heard that they are not beginner roses. It would certainly be a strong dose of confidence if ours turns out to be a hyrid tea: I did not "take care of" it at all except water it occasionally and fertilize it a coupe of times. Nor did I prune it (as I don't know how to until a couple of months ago), and is kicking myself for not having done so because this one definitely grows on new growth.

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 1:36PM
petaloid(SoCal 10a/24)

If you go to HelpMeFind they have a huge database of rose varieties with photos and descriptions.

Looks like there are rose societies that meet in Freehold and Medford NJ. They could be a good source of free information on your particular soil and climate conditions, and someone there might even recognize your rose.

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 6:32PM
tapdogly(NoVA6)

Thanks!

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 10:49AM
seil zone 6b MI

I don't think it's Memorial Day. Memorial Day has distinctly ruffled/scalloped petals. Belinda's Dream seem more likely but there are a lot of pink HTs.

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 9:47PM
diane_nj 6b/7a

The "Freehold" one is Jersey Shore RS (meets in Tinton Falls). I was thinking that the pink was Queen Elizabeth, but the fragrance thing threw me off. I didn't think Belinda's Dream, 'cause it usually isn't that available here, and it is only marginally winter hardy. There is another pink that isn't coming to mind now, it will come to me, though...

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 8:20AM
the_bustopher z6 MO

Might you have a Bewitched HT?

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 11:22AM
diane_nj 6b/7a

Or perhaps Tournament of Roses?

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 4:01PM
tapdogly(NoVA6)

Thanks, everyone! I think that, among others, it could be Sexy Rexy or Tiffany. There are just too many pink HTs (and they are all so beautiful)!! :)

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 4:28PM
diane_nj 6b/7a

If Tiffany, it would have yellow at the base, and a strong fragrance (I have two of them, and it doesn't look like Tiff).

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 1:03PM
strawchicago 5a IL

I second the_bustopher's nominationn of Bewitched rose for these reasons:

1) tapdogly is from NJ, and Bewitched is very hardy to zone 4.

2) Bewitched is very simple in form.

3) Bewitched is very vigorous and tall

4) Repeat bloom until frost means this hybrid tea is super-hardy, and only Bewitched is hardy to zone 4 among pink HTs.

Bookmark   January 18, 2012 at 10:34AM
More Discussions
Old rose ID 2
This is a climbing rose that clambers to 15 feet over...
dkelch
Pink/Yellow Blend?
This was a rescue plant, so don't know what the name...
msdorkgirl
Large fragrant apricot rose ID.
I'm trying to ID this apricot rose that came with my...
fireballsocal
Identify Dark Red/Purple Rose
We just repotted this rose that was producing only...
msdorkgirl
A single petaled coral colored rose
This bushy rose came with the house. I never paid much...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™