how to ripen green peppers

dannya(5a montreal)October 9, 2005

Hi I have some habenero peppers and I had to harvest them because of the cold weather here in Montreal.My question is does anyone know how to ripen them to a bright red ?Little tricks that people tried to ripen them.I am sending some pics on my habs don,t know if I did it right but here it is.

Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/danthemantheunusual2000/detail?.dir=/ab5f&.dnm=9f6b.jpg&.src=ph

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Vera_EWASH(z5 EasternWA)

Well I've heard you can try storing them in a paper bag with an un-ripened tomato to promote pepper ripening...as the tomoto gives off ethylene gas the peppers will ripen...if the tomatoe matures red before the peppers are matured toss in a new green upripe tomato. Also stated that not ALL peppers have the ability to turn cut away from the parent plant. Now if I can remember where I read it? HA

Vera

Bookmark   October 11, 2005 at 10:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zip_000(z8 GA)

One thing that I have done, with jalapenos only so far, is to put them in a paper bag with a cut apple - which I think does the same thing as the tomato.

I found that about half of the jalap. turned red overnight, and the rest wouldn't turn regardless of how long they were in the bag. The peppers also started to get really soft though.

With the habs that I pruned, I just hung them up on a string in the kitchen and after 4 or 5 days most of them turned.

Bookmark   October 11, 2005 at 11:18AM
More Discussions
New to H. Peppers and a few questions
Hi all I am going to try my hand at hot peppers this...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Wow! Sure seems slow!
In the midst of seedling season, I would expect the...
woohooman
Found a nationwide compromise for 5-1-1 at Home Depot
Miracle Grow Organic Choice soil is actually made of...
scuba_steve81
bad batch of corn … oh
OTOH nothing happened after 26 days with my first batch...
bragu_DSM 5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™