3 Unknown Roses, 1 Dr. Huey Perhaps?

azmountains_gardener(5b/6a, Sunset 2b, AZ)July 14, 2010

I need help identifying three roses, one pink and two red. My parents planted them 25 to 30 years ago and cannot remember their names.

The one for this post is either a climber or rambler. This is the one I would guess is Dr. Huey. My mom says that it's flowers and form (climber/rambler) have always been the same, so no chance of a grafted rose being overtaken by the rootstock. It's canes are 8-10 feet long. It flowers once per year, almost always in late May (though this year it didn't bloom until the middle of June). It's flowers have, on average, about 15 petals. The color is red. The form of the flower is double but open, with golden stamens. It has a very light, spicy scent.

I didn't think of trying to identify these roses until just the other day, so this and the pink rose's flowers are pretty far gone. Therefore, I don't have very good pictures of the flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: I couldn't put the pictures in this post (the files were too big), so I added them to my Flickr account, so click on this link to go there.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Looks different to me in these views. And thanks to supplier(s) grafting roses on it which later die in the final planting sites I have seen 'Dr. Huey' many times.

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 12:52AM
azmountains_gardener(5b/6a, Sunset 2b, AZ)

bboy,

Are there any other climbers that it could be, that maybe look like Dr. Huey? The flowers on my bush seem very similar to Dr. Huey.

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 5:44PM
azmountains_gardener(5b/6a, Sunset 2b, AZ)

Is there anything in particular that makes you think this is not Dr. Huey?

Bookmark   July 18, 2010 at 4:09PM
reg_pnw7(WA 7, sunset 4)

It does not particularly look like Dr Huey to me either. DH has dusky dark red flowers, these are too bright a red to my mind. And DH has a bright yellow center.

Does it get powdery mildew? Dr Huey always mildews it seems, no matter the climate. No mildew, probably not Dr. Huey.

Bookmark   September 14, 2010 at 12:24AM
trospero(8)

I wouldn't assume its not 'Dr. Huey' based on the paler than average bloom color. In every other aspect, the plant looks like 'Dr. Huey' to me. Soil conditions, age of bloom, light/shade conditions all play a part in the intensity of the bloom color. I vote 'Dr. Huey'.

Bookmark   December 8, 2010 at 2:12PM
dan_keil_cr Keil(Illinois z5)

Does it only bloom 1x a year? If so it may be Paul's Scarlett Climber. It's description says 15-20 petals.

Bookmark   December 28, 2010 at 3:10PM
More Discussions
Please help identify this rose
Hello everyone, I saw a video on YouTube about roses...
Jesse Ortiz
IDing some Austins for me
Hi All, I purchased a few of these Austin's from Cool...
SoFL Rose z10
Tall deep pink rose ID
This rose was planted by the previous owner, probably...
BarbJP CA 15-16/9B
Pink fortuniana? White carnea? Or...?
When I was a kid in North Carolina (during the Reagan...
tdfromnc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™