climbing roses-one timers per season

jjanvil(z6 NY)July 15, 2007

i had beautiful climbing roses but they only last one bloom per season. what are they & what's the best way to care for them? pruning, dead heading, etc?? the bare stems looks so ugly now. thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

Dark red, perchance? The once-blooming red climber Dr. Huey is very common because it is used as a rootstock, and it grows out after somebody's neglected Peace or whatever freezes to death. The leaves were lost to blackspot disease, which can be controlled by regular use of a fungicide if you want to go to that much trouble. My suggestion for dealing with a disease-prone once-bloomer is to cut it to the ground just after blooming (not at any other time). It will then grow fresh canes over the summer that will bloom next May-June. Applying fresh mulch after pruning would help suppress disease. To grow well, it would need fertilizing at least twice a year and 1" of water per week during droughts.

This would be about the latest time to do the savage pruning trick, or maybe a bit too late, I'm not sure.

Some climbers that are disease resistant and repeat-blooming are New Dawn, Clair Matin, Parade, Illusion, and Quadra. You can get New Dawn in most garden centers.

Bookmark   July 16, 2007 at 5:02PM
More Discussions
What rose is this on the cover of "In search of lost roses"?
I am sorry I know it is probably like looking for a...
kingcobbtx9b
Amazing Rose...name?
Hey Y'all! I found this amazing rose I don't know the...
thelarkascending
Need to Identify This Rose!
Last summer I decided to go ahead and test this rose...
weberriver
Please help identify this rose
Hello everyone, I saw a video on YouTube about roses...
jesusortiz2691
IDing some Austins for me
Hi All, I purchased a few of these Austin's from Cool...
SoFL Rose z10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™