what kind of rose bush, what's eating it, and how do I save it?

sprchikJuly 11, 2014

I bought a house about a month ago, and now have this lovely climbing (I assume, since they put wire stuff here for it to climb?) rose bush.

I've never grown roses before. No idea what kind it is. Has not bloomed yet, but it is getting eaten up pretty badly, so perhaps the buds are being devoured.

What is it, what's eating it, and what do I do to help it?

The newer leaves seem to have a red tinge to them.

If you need any other pictures of specific areas to help identification, let me know and I'll go take them.

This is in Lansing, Michigan.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

Has it bloomed this year? Without seeing a photo of the buds and blooms there's no way to ID it. The holes are caused by rose slugs. A small green worm on the undersides of the leaves. They are the larvae of the sawfly. Look for an insecticide that will kill them. New growth on roses is often red. That's normal so don't worry about it. Otherwise the rose looks pretty healthy!

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 3:18PM
sprchik

I have not witnessed any blooms on it in the month I've been here, nor any time I visited the property (March and early April) before closing in mid-June.

I will get some insecticide for rose slugs/sawfly larvae, thank you! Hopefully then I'll get some un-eaten buds and then blooms to help with identification. I've been dying to find out what color flowers it will have.

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 3:35PM
AquaEyes 7a New Jersey

There are two culprits here -- 1) yes, sawfly larvae (aka rose slugs) are chewing the leaves, and will continue to munch them down until they leave the bare mid-vein, and 2) the round holes at the edges, looking like they were made with a hole-puncher, were done by leaf-cutter bees -- they don't eat the leaves, and tend to have just one period of activity when they cut foliage to line their nests.

:-)

~Christopher

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 5:14PM
patricianat

Carpenter bees. They will probably go away as soon as the weather changes. Your rose is probably a once bloomer. Have you fed it yet? Don't cut it back until after bloom season next year. Until it blooms, identification is next to impossible. Make sure the ground is cleaned up underneath or you are attracting more problems. emmie/patricia

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 12:58AM
More Discussions
Large fragrant apricot rose ID.
I'm trying to ID this apricot rose that came with my...
fireballsocal
Amazing Rose...name?
Hey Y'all! I found this amazing rose I don't know the...
thelarkascending
Please ID this rose
see 4 photos Please let me know if you need more photos...
gcotterl
Help me Id rose from great-great-grandma
There is a row of three rose plants that have been...
Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
Red & white striped rose
I'm trying to identify my neighbor's red & white...
weberriver
Sponsored Products
Marcy Standard Hollow Bar Kit - SDC10.1
$34.95 | Hayneedle
Nourison Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Nourison Rugs South Beach Black 10 ft. x 13
Home Depot
Hand Knotted Wool Glaucous Khotan Design Super Kazak 5' X 7' Oriental Rug H4046
BH Sun Inc
Victorian Rug 2'4" x 7'4" - IVORY
$259.00 | Horchow
Energy Star Sienna Knob Hill One-Light Outdoor Pendant
$209.00 | Bellacor
Lite Source Kyla LED Matte Black Desk Lamp
Lamps Plus
Padre Pio Garden Statue - R-047-GS
$194.99 | Hayneedle
Novelty Lamps: NHL 14 in. Art Glass Table Lamp - Philadelphia Flyers NHL PFL 462
$58.97 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™