Unknown Red Rose

chargreen(TX/Aus)July 15, 2005

This is a two year old rose from a cutting I took from my grandparents abandoned homesite. It bloomed once so far in June but it is in a bed that gets only morning sun. The canes were about 4 to 6 foot long and growing tangled in other brambles in full shade. I don't think it is a climber. The rose never grew up into the nearby tree. I don't know how old it is but we have pictures of a rose in that area in the 50's. This rose has been growing without any care for at least the last 20 years. Does it look familiar to anyone?

Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petaloid(SoCal 10a/24)

Your photos are clear and helpful.

I can't be sure, but the close-up reminds me of 'Sarabande' which was introduced in the late '50s -- link to information below (click on Photos tab for more pictures):

Here is a link that might be useful: Sarabande

Bookmark   July 18, 2005 at 9:16PM
chargreen(TX/Aus)

I agree that Sarabande would be a good guess but the info says it only grows to 20" and is orange red.
Some more info on my rose that might help.
My grandparents were not gardeners so the rose had to be a gift or widely available before at least 1970. It was originally growing beside the driveway with an old steel wagon wheel for support. It had long canes coming from the ground. When I took cuttings I tried to find the plant at the base of the canes but it seems to have been overtaken by a hackberry tree. I am thinking that the color in the picture may be misleading because we remember the rose as a lighter color. It may be like my Maggie rose in that the color varies with the temperature and sunlight available. I may have to wait until I move it to a sunnier spot and watch it's blooms and growth habits for awhile.

Bookmark   July 19, 2005 at 3:13PM
chargreen(TX/Aus)

I found this description and picture of the Blaze rose. The closeup looks very similiar to my rose if you adjust the color. My rose was totally abandoned for many years maybe if it was growing in the sun and taken care of it might have started out as a Blaze rose.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blaze Rose

Bookmark   July 19, 2005 at 4:15PM
rosetom(7 Atl)

My guess would've been Blaze, but usually someone mentions if they think it's a climber. Your 2nd post confirms, "... long canes coming from the ground." That clinches it for me.

Bookmark   July 20, 2005 at 1:01PM
More Discussions
old rose ID1
This rose is a low bush (to 80 cm) growing under a...
dkelch
IDing some Austins for me
Hi All, I purchased a few of these Austin's from Cool...
SoFL Rose z10
Ebay red rose with beautiful silver-green leaves
I purchased what I thought was Olympiad on Ebay. I...
jasminerose4u, California
Old rose ID 2
This is a climbing rose that clambers to 15 feet over...
dkelch
Please help identify this rose
Hello everyone, I saw a video on YouTube about roses...
Jesse Ortiz
Sponsored Products
Newgate small ?electric? wall clock - black 8"
Origin Crafts
Cuzco Pouf - Shape 4 - Zuzunaga
$997.00 | HORNE
Textured Lines Rug 4' x 6' - LIGHT BLUE
$799.00 | Horchow
Red Carpet Studios Birdhouse Birdie In The Woods Flower Power Car - 40961
$29.99 | Hayneedle
John Louis 10-inch Drawer Kit
Overstock.com