Pretty sure this Fragrant Memory but looks strange.

caflowerluverJuly 19, 2005

I transplanted this rose a year and half ago and it did absolutely nothing for that whole time. I mean nothing, no leaves or blooms. I kept watering and fertilizing it along with the rest hoping it would come back.

It has finally put out some flowers but they don't look like what I remembered Fragrant Memory looking like. It still has the tag attached to it saying it is that rose. Could it have mutated in that time or is this a sport?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldroser(z5)

What does it look like? Is the picture your current rose or the way it bloomed before? The fact that it has the tag attached means almost nothing since misnamed roses happen all the time.

Bookmark   July 20, 2005 at 6:48PM
caflowerluver

This is what it currently looks like. Before it died back it was the same color but rolled over petals not the ruffled edges that it has now.

Bookmark   July 20, 2005 at 7:44PM
roseluvr

It looks like the same rose to me-but I'm not an expert. However, in my opinion, sometimes a rose will put out a not-quite mature bloom when it is still struggling to grow. For example, my new Ambassador came with a bloom containing only 5 single petals-very unlike a regular bloom-but since the color was true to an Ambassador, I am fairly confident the rose was not mis-labeled. I figure the rose was trying its best to even bloom, and it just couldn't muster the energy to put out a full bloom at that time. I have found this to be the case with most of my new roses-the first few blooms were not "true" to form. Because of the transplanting, your rose may be doing the same-perhaps because it doesn't like its current situation. But that's just my opinion. Hope it helps.

bren

Bookmark   July 21, 2005 at 10:01AM
caflowerluver

Bren - that makes sense. Don't know why I didn't think of that. It has taken it a 1 1/2 years to put out a bloom so must still be recovering. Thanks for the insight.

Bookmark   July 21, 2005 at 6:11PM
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

Matte yellow-green young foliage and straight thorns of FM are distinctive, if you're getting those. It's a fine rose in my climate.

Bookmark   July 25, 2005 at 3:58PM
More Discussions
Need to Identify This Rose!
Last summer I decided to go ahead and test this rose...
weberriver
Rose Identification
Please help me id this rose. Thanks.
Bubbi01
Please help to ID this rose
I found these rose plants near my hometown and all...
neddy_nam
old rose ID1
This rose is a low bush (to 80 cm) growing under a...
dkelch
The name of the rose
While searching for yellow roses on Google a couple...
johnb45
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™