Found this purple rose picture on the internet

jenn1514July 30, 2008

I found this purple rose picture on the internet and was curious if it was actually a real rose(not one photoshopped) and what it was called. I can't upload the image but here is the address http://www.dkimages.com/discover/DKIMAGES/Discover/Home/Plants/Ornamental-Groups/Shrubs/Rosales/Rosaceae/Rosa/Modern-Roses/Large-flowered-Bush/Rosa-Alecs-Red/index.html. The site called it an Alec's Red but it is definitely not red. I looked at the hmf website and it did not look anything like the name. I would love to know the name so I can go about purchasing it somewhere. I love how it is such a deep purple. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petaloid(SoCal 10a/24)

Someone has used photo software like photoshop to make a red rose look purple. Alec's Red is red.

There are many purple and lavender roses in commerce, but it would be best to get in touch with someone at your local rose society (Florida?) to recommend ones that would do well in your climate.

I'll put a link to a page for your area, and if you scroll down to Florida you will see 18 rose societies listed. You could just e-mail or phone a local contact for advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deep South District rose societies

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 3:14AM
trospero(8)

That photo has been manipulated to look purple. 'Alec's Red' is red, not purple at all. Try hunting down either 'Midnight Blue' or 'Ebb Tide' if you want beautiful purples.

Bookmark   August 1, 2008 at 2:47AM
ptgrose(MN/4)

I think they got their photos mixed up. Their photo of Big Purple is red. I bet their photo for Alec's Red is really Big Purple and vice versa.

Bookmark   August 4, 2008 at 11:21AM
diane_nj 6b/7a

Except that Stephens' Big Purple usually isn't all that purple either...

Here is a link that might be useful: Stephens' Big Purple at HelpMeFind.com

Bookmark   August 4, 2008 at 5:08PM
ptgrose(MN/4)

Here is one of the photos of Big Purple from HMF. I think it looks very much like the photo from the link for Alec's Red.

http://www.helpmefind.com/plant/pics.php?l=2.5968.1&nr=-79654

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 8:29AM
More Discussions
help, is this twilight zone?
It doesn't look like the twilight zone on the website...
msdorkgirl
Amazing Rose...name?
Hey Y'all! I found this amazing rose I don't know the...
thelarkascending
Pink/Yellow Blend?
This was a rescue plant, so don't know what the name...
msdorkgirl
Red & white striped rose
I'm trying to identify my neighbor's red & white...
weberriver
Please help me ID these two floral roses
I had 2 floral roses about ten years ago. I grafted...
gardentiller
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™