notes on frosted plants

david52 Zone 6June 11, 2008

I didn't cover anything up for the freeze on Sunday-Monday, and quite a few plants got hit, but was out there today covering things with grass clippings for tonight and *observed*....

The winter squash, if there was even one leaf left un-frozen, was already shooting new leaves from the crown. The ones that all the leaves froze, well, they're dead.

The peppers, I left most of them be, but on 10 or so, I snipped off the dead leaves right where they came out of the stem. Already, new growth on those, but not on the ones that I just left the dead leaves hanging. That little stem thingie going from the trunk to the actual leaf is still alive, but the plants weren't growing anything new.

Tomatoes didn't get hit that hard, but I know from past experience, that even if they're badly hit, and all the leaves freeze off, that if I cut them right above the first node in the stem, 80% of the plants will come back, and likely produce fruit.

So, good luck out there, for these next few days, but it isn't all that bad.....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michelle_co(z5 CO)

Rocky Mountain gardening is always a gamble, isn't it? It's hard to believe it will be that cold, when it's currently 60 degrees outside.

Cheers,
Michelle

Bookmark   June 11, 2008 at 9:59PM
michelle_co(z5 CO)

Holding at ± 40°F...

Cheers,
Michelle

Bookmark   June 12, 2008 at 4:48AM
highalttransplant(z 5 Western CO)

It only dropped to 36 last night, but it looks like I'll be covering those tomatoes and peppers one more night. The low for tonight is supposed to be 34.

Bonnie

Bookmark   June 12, 2008 at 9:05AM
david52 Zone 6

The outside one read 32º this morning, but it was colder than that, circles of ice all around the sprinklers and on the hay on the way into town.

Bookmark   June 12, 2008 at 11:24AM
lilacs_of_may

It got down to 37 last night in the Denver metro area. My tomatoes, melons, and squash look fine, though. I would have put cloches over them, though, if I'd known it was going to get that cold.

Bookmark   June 12, 2008 at 9:08PM
david52 Zone 6

We get down to between 35ºF and 32ºF fairly often here, and it doesn't do anything to any of the frost sensitive plants. But once its below freezing, then there's damage.

Bookmark   June 12, 2008 at 9:19PM
digit(ID/WA)

The garden hasn't had frost but the long days and nights of cold, wind, overcast, rain, etc. has resulted in loss of some of my Honey Girl Charentais melons. They are rotting right at the soil line.

Luckily, I have quite a few planted. They all look pathetic as do some of the other melons but I think half or so will hold up.

Asian melons look the best of that group, squash & pumpkins seem to be okay, cukes appear to be unfazed. Some of the tomatoes are more purple than green.

Warmer weather this afternoon and more warmth is forecast!! Thank Heavens!

digitS'

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 1:51AM
More Discussions
sweet potatoes froze, will they come back?
I planted sweet potato slips last year, late. I am...
jimmor395
New perennial bed, need some ideas and help
So, I brought this up to Skybird in another thread...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Slice of Pi for Your Birthdate ت
My birthday is the 88,173 digit of pi! ت Do you want...
digit
Bare Root Roses
This week I saw a whole new rack of Bare Root Roses...
flowerridge
Help me plan my Colorado sunshed
This spring I'm converting an existing shed into a...
Golden David
Sponsored Products
Campania International Square Sisal Weave Planter - Set of 3 - 6231-1203
$569.99 | Hayneedle
Herb Dickinson 'Gerber Time IV' Gallery-Wrapped Canvas
Overstock.com
Olive Silk Tree with Vase (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Garrison Old Bronze Six-Light Chandelier
Bellacor
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Home Decorators Collection Rugs MandarIn
Home Depot