Please Help IDENTIFY these two

dtdiva(7BC)August 24, 2005

I posted these pictures on the rose forum,,,did not realize there is this ID forum,,,,

this pink is definitely not New Dawn, it has a lovely fragrance, the blooms last a long time, and it behaves like a climber...very shiny leaves, one bloom on a stem, very velvety petals with substance

and this one is also fragrant, it blooms in 3-4 clusters, shiny leaves, the shrub is about 2.5 feet high, and the blooms ball in wet weather, very delicate petals

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosetom(7 Atl)

Well, I guessed Bride's Dream or Royal Highness for the bottom one before, but that's probably not it. 2.5 feet and clusters implies a floribunda. Bride's Dream is not fragrant and the only time it's 2.5 feet is after it's pruned. I believe Royal Highness is the same except that it has strong fragrance.

Sounds like you may be looking for a light pink, fragrant Floribunda on the bottom one.

Bookmark   August 24, 2005 at 9:33AM
johnreb_va7(z7 VA)

Dtdiva, the first rose might be New Zealand.
I found your other post in the Rose Discussion forum.
New Zealand is not a Climber, but your photos matches the New Zealand blooms in my yard.

New Zealand's leaves are glossy, matching your rose.
Your mystery rose's scent-level doesn't match New Zealand's (which is "strong"). But scent-level can vary.

Compare your photo with the New Zealand photos at HelpMeFind dotcom, at
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?i=A4469&tab=10
(or use the Link at the end of this post.)

I'm just suggesting New Zealand as a POSSIBLE identity, because your photo looks exactly like New Zealand. It might not be, but I thought you'd want to check the possibility.

Regards,
JohnReb

Here is a link that might be useful: New Zealand photos at HelpMeFind

Bookmark   August 25, 2005 at 12:19PM
rosetom(7 Atl)

JohnReb,
I agree that the first rose may be New Zealand. After re-reading the description, I think you're right. New Zealand (I have one, too, btw.) has very shiny leaves. Also, the flower has a unique substance and finish for a coral-tinged pink. I liken it to a metal sheen. Finally, it will also send up pretty long basals, some of which can be somewhat floppy - at least mine still are after about 4 years. Like most HT's, though - those canes are fairly tall - 6 ft or more, which may be mistaken for Climbing rose tendencies. The blooms on mine also waiver between quilling and cross-ways reflexing - or whatever you would call it - similar to the way the bloom in that photo appears. As said, I've had mine for 4 years, but have yet to detect a fragrance - despite universal praise of a honeysuckle scent (yuck!).

Good guess!

Bookmark   September 2, 2005 at 9:12AM
johnreb_va7(z7 VA)

Thanks, Rosetom.

My yard's New Zealand is a new bush, ordered late and thus planted late this Spring, a kinda puny bare-root from Edmunds. Your report's info gives me a good idea what to expect as the bush matures. : )

By the way, since you mentioned scent... mine does have good strong scent ...usually.

Regards,
JohnReb

Bookmark   September 2, 2005 at 8:37PM
More Discussions
Please help to ID this rose
I found these rose plants near my hometown and all...
neddy_nam
Red & white striped rose
I'm trying to identify my neighbor's red & white...
weberriver
Unknown Week's rose
Just bought this from a nursery that sells no tag roses....
kublakan
Large fragrant apricot rose ID.
I'm trying to ID this apricot rose that came with my...
fireballsocal
More nd more...hope sm1 names them
It's SN21 ...newbie ....please name these flower ...thanks...
sn21
Sponsored Products
Le Artiste Rug
$37.99 | Dot & Bo
Canyon Ranch Turkish Browncomb Men's Robe with Gift Box
$95.50 | FRONTGATE
Elk Lighting Bordeaux Buffet Server - 6043619
Hayneedle
ELK Lighting Briston 2-Light Bathroom Vanity Light 11281/2 - 19W in. - 11281/2
$160.00 | Hayneedle
Filament Design Chandeliers Concord 3-Light Black Copper and Frosted Crystal
Home Depot