What to call this one?

Kpn.Kardif(8 PNW)August 4, 2014

This is the second blooming of this fine lady so far this year. It's definitely not a climber, has two canes coming up straight from the ground, a little over two feet tall. One cane has a nice strong branch off to one side. There are actually three buds here in this pic, the other two off to the sides (should I remove those?). It is incredibly fragrant, at least to me.

Any names spring to mind?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

I would call it gorgeous! It's probably a hybrid tea rose and I would let those buds bloom. The only reason to dis-bud is for exhibiting at shows and you aren't doing that, are you? Just enjoy those lovely blooms as each one opens!

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 6:42PM
Kpn.Kardif(8 PNW)

Haha, good call Seil. I'm not growing this for competition, it came with the house I bought last fall. I'll leave the other ones alone and definitely enjoy them once they open. According to my neighbor, this plant has been there for the better part of 30 years. The house was foreclosed and left vacant for several years, after which the yard was completely cut to nothing (including this bush) and then hydro-seeded for grass. I'm glad being cut to the ground didn't kill this plant, and seeing it come back like this is definitely fun.

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 1:54AM
seil zone 6b MI

I did a search for some early pale pink HTs and the one that looks the closest is Royal Highness.

Here is a link that might be useful: Royal Highness at HMF

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 7:19PM
Kpn.Kardif(8 PNW)

Mine doesn't look like it has quite that many petals, but the rest of the description fits the plant almost exactly. And the timeline is correct for when this bush may have been put in it's current place.

Thanks for looking into it, Seil! I never would have guessed that my property played host to royalty =P

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 1:20AM
seil zone 6b MI

A lot of times petal count can be different. Weather and growing conditions can play a big part in that respect.

Glad I could help!

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 6:59PM
More Discussions
What rose is this on the cover of "In search of lost roses"?
I am sorry I know it is probably like looking for a...
kingcobbtx9b
Please help me ID these two floral roses
I had 2 floral roses about ten years ago. I grafted...
gardentiller
Pink fortuniana? White carnea? Or...?
When I was a kid in North Carolina (during the Reagan...
tdfromnc
help, is this twilight zone?
It doesn't look like the twilight zone on the website...
msdorkgirl
Red & white striped rose
I'm trying to identify my neighbor's red & white...
weberriver
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™