Rose variety in American Beauty film

Saintin(Brisbane)August 20, 2005

Hi,

I saw American Beauty again this weekend and was wondering what variety of red rose was used in the film. It looked like a hybrid tea and it didn't seem to grow too tall, only 1.2m (4 feet) I'm guessing, by the fence. It was a very clear intense red too.

Thanks to anyone who can satiate my curiosity as I would love to grow this rose!

Corey

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Fake silk ones.

Bookmark   August 25, 2005 at 1:24PM
madspinner(z7 WA skagit)

hee hee... reminds me of when I was watching the show on PBS "Mystery" when they were doing the Cadfael series. One of the episodes is called "the Rose Rent", which is quite a good one. Oh but the horror of it when I realized that the rose bush was a VERY fake one... plastic and fabric all. Sigh. Once spotted it is hard to ignore, and plastic never looks good in a medieval context.

Forgive my ignorance, since I am more an antique rose person than a HT person, but isn't the rose in American Beauty supposed to be the rose "American Beauty"?

Bookmark   September 4, 2005 at 8:35PM
xeney

No, the real American Beauty is a deep pink hybrid perpetual. The roses in the film were deep red hybrid teas, but I also think they were probably silk. Here is a photo of Annette Bening with the roses. I think it looks a little like Ingrid Bergman but I think they are fake. The roses used in the petal scenes, and the single stem in the promo shots, are probably all some florist variety (if they aren't also silk).

Bookmark   September 5, 2005 at 1:00PM
More Discussions
Ebay red rose with beautiful silver-green leaves
I purchased what I thought was Olympiad on Ebay. I...
jasminerose4u, California
Amazing Rose...name?
Hey Y'all! I found this amazing rose I don't know the...
thelarkascending
Please help me ID these two floral roses
I had 2 floral roses about ten years ago. I grafted...
gardentiller
Please help to ID this rose
I found these rose plants near my hometown and all...
neddy_nam
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™