I love these roses but have no clue as to name

Lynn_ColoSpgsAugust 8, 2014

About 4 years ago, I purchased these 3 roses from Lowes for $5 apiece. I wanted to see what would grow here (lifelong East Coaster) before hitting the local nursery. They didn't name the cultivar, only had a tag that said "Landscaping Rose". Well, it turns out that I fell in love with them and would like to purchase more for a new bed that I will be putting in next Spring. They are highly fragranced - almost identical to my Gertrude Jekylls, and have an arching habit. They are self deadheading with a massive first bloom in late May and a fairly sparse second bloom beginning now in August. They bloom in clusters. I have several pictures, this one of a single flower.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lynn_ColoSpgs

Oh, and the blooms are about 2.5" in diameter. This next picture is of a cluster of buds.

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 4:09PM
Lynn_ColoSpgs

This picture is a close up of the leaves. I have pictures of the base and the entire group, if need be.

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 4:13PM
Lynn_ColoSpgs

I had originally thought Therese Bugnet, and now I believe that's correct. The reason I wasn't completely sure was the fact that the descriptions I have read say that they bloom continuously. I have found that people in this area describe the blooming habit that I experience.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 9:50AM
seil zone 6b MI

I have a couple of different OGRs that are described as repeaters. I've found in my short season they only bloom once for me.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 6:57PM
phasedweasel(7b)

Every time I see Therese Bugnet at various gardens around here this summer, it's not blooming.

Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 11:39AM
trospero(8)

Almost certainly 'Therese Bugnet'.

Bookmark   September 29, 2014 at 12:36AM
rina_

I just 'found' this growing in one of the neglected pots...went looking for something very fragrant. It is very small (only about 10" tall), pot was given to me with some other plants in it & the rose had to be in it too.

I hope you don't mind me posting on this thread, photo just looks the same.

Rina

Bookmark   September 29, 2014 at 1:14AM
trospero(8)

Rina,
The foliage gives far more clues as to its identity than a close-cropped photo of the bloom does ;-)

Bookmark   September 29, 2014 at 12:59PM
rina_

Sorry, I don't know anything about roses so didn't think that photo of leaves would help.
Here is the photo - is that good enough for ID?
It looks to me that they are shorter & rounder than OP's - or is it my imagination?

TIA.
Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Mon, Sep 29, 14 at 16:11

Bookmark   September 29, 2014 at 4:08PM
melissa_thefarm(NItaly)

The photo of the leaves is helpful; I still can't give a good guess as to the ID of the second rose. Do you have pictures of buds, prickles, possible hips, and can you tell us about scent, rebloom, and other details? The more information the better (though you may not be able to say much about a small plant).
I agree it's a different variety than your first rose, which also to me looks like 'Therese Bugnet'.
Melissa

Bookmark   October 11, 2014 at 11:16AM
rina_

Melissa

Thank you very much f following up.
I don't have any more photos right now, I'll see tomorrow if there is anything else to photo (it's too dark now).
Rina

Bookmark   October 11, 2014 at 8:15PM
rina_

Melissa kindly followed on my ID question - I have few more photos in case they help...

Close-up of stem & thorns.

Bookmark   October 13, 2014 at 8:20PM
rina_

The bloom is finished, this is all that remains right now.

(The line in the middle of the photo is camera's fault!)

This post was edited by rina_ on Mon, Oct 13, 14 at 20:23

Bookmark   October 13, 2014 at 8:22PM
rina_

After trying to get rid of lots of weeds in the pot I found that it must have been a large plant - here is woody 'base' that shoots (just 2) grew out of.

Thanks again for trying to help. If not enough info, maybe I'll try in spring again.
Rina

Bookmark   October 13, 2014 at 8:27PM
thelarkascending

Do you suppose this is a B.R. Cant? I have a friend who has one, and I haven't seen it many times, but it looks similar to this. I know that this variety is common, at least in my area.

Bookmark   October 21, 2014 at 8:28PM
More Discussions
Pink fortuniana? White carnea? Or...?
When I was a kid in North Carolina (during the Reagan...
tdfromnc
The name of the rose
While searching for yellow roses on Google a couple...
johnb45
help, is this twilight zone?
It doesn't look like the twilight zone on the website...
msdorkgirl
Please help identify this rose
Hello everyone, I saw a video on YouTube about roses...
jesusortiz2691
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™