Big, Fat Pink Rose??? Name(s) pls!

amelie325(6b)August 5, 2013

Hi all!
There is a lovely little rose garden located in a nearby park--with no labels! Argh! So, I took cuttings of this beautiful, fat, totally packed with petals rose (1 rooted...but 1 is enough, for this year :) ). Some info: It balls like crazy! And with this heavy rainy weather, I can't seem to get a good pic. Finally went back last week and found some that weren't balled to hell. It smells lovely! Not heavy, though. No musk smell, rather a medium old rose? (So subjective, I know!). Moderate, I'd say...but again that could be influenced by the weather. Here are some pics: (the ones with white background are from a few days ago, the others from about 3 weeks ago). The flower is nearly as "deep" as it is wide! When buds, they are very fat. And when I finally saw one mostly open, it was a good 3-4" wide. Also, petal count for the one on the white background is over 70 :) Of course, I had an exact number, but in my fervor to photograph the petals, I forgot. As for height, it seems to be regularly pruned, the forth pic down is about head height for me (I'm 5'7") and about half that wide...more of a grandiflora shape?

Natural light:

Bathroom light:

I feel like what it is is staring me right in the face, I'm just to close to figure it out, lol!

This post was edited by amelie325 on Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 12:43

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Krista_5NY

The balled blooms and pics remind me of Auguste Renoir.

Here is a link that might be useful: Auguste Renoir at Helpmefind

Bookmark   August 5, 2013 at 6:08PM
amelie325(6b)

Oh wow, thanks krista! If that's not it, it's damn near its twin :) It really is a lovely looking rose.

Bookmark   August 5, 2013 at 6:11PM
Krista_5NY

If you like Meilland roses, you might like Yves Piaget. It has wonderful fragrance and color; it doesn't ball in my garden setting.

Bookmark   August 5, 2013 at 8:16PM
amelie325(6b)

Thanks krisa, I've never considered Meilland roses (not bc I don't like them, but they just haven't been on my rose radar!). But they are beautiful roses :)

Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 12:36PM
Campanula UK Z8

um, I am hopeless at rose id....but this looks awfully like a setigera hybrid (I have Tolstoi and Baltimore Belle) - the balling, the shape of leaves and petals.........although would expect someone to chime in with a more educated guess, especially since the setigeras tend to climb.....a lot.

Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 2:29PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Auguste Renoir I remember having a stunning old rose fragrance, one of the best of the best for fragrance. The balling sent it to the dump.

Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 4:26PM
porkpal zone 9 Tx

It reminds me of Belinda's Dream except darker pink than mine.

Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 11:29PM
labrea_gw

U thought Renoir also from that side view it balls like that

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 7:02PM
amelie325(6b)

hoovb, I thought it smelt nice earlier in the season, but for the past few weeks there's a strange underlying scent (beneath a still pleasant odor)...almost like rotten earth. Somewhat vaguely unpleasant.

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 9:30PM
More Discussions
Is this Maggie (1900) or Magenta Kordes (1954)
I lost the tag to this rose but I remember it either...
caflowerluver
Three many petalled roses: yellow and pink/apricot - lots of pics
Hello! First let me tell you that I am not at all aware...
karatepop
A single petaled coral colored rose
This bushy rose came with the house. I never paid much...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™