veggie book advice

jclepine(8b)June 28, 2011

Hello. I would like to send a book to a friend who moved from Boulder to Kansas City, Mo. She knows little about gardening and wanted a veggie garden but had trouble with the weather here.

Now that they have moved, she wants to get into growing lots of her own veggies.

I was thinking of just sending the good ol' Sunset Western but now I'm thinking a book more dedicated to veggies would be better.

I'm thinking maybe Sunset's Western Garden Book of Edibles or Sunset's the Edible Garden. But, I've never really used a veggie book, I just ask you all! So, I'm not sure if there is a best choice out there or if my guess is as good as anyone else's.

Thank you!

Jennifer

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
provogirl

Jennifer,

I have and use the Sunset Western Garden Book of Edibles. It is a great reference book and covers all the basics and then some. I would recommend this book.

ProvoGirl

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 1:30AM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Me too.

Dan

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 10:27AM
jclepine(8b)

Thank you both! It looked like a good book but I never really know until I put something to use.

:)

Bookmark   June 30, 2011 at 8:35AM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

My all-time-favorite gardening book is Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times, by Steve Solomon. I think it's the only gardening book that I have read completely through, and then I did it again! It's designed for a beginner, and it's emphasis is in making gardening affordable.

It's filled with practical, down-to-earth advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 9:20AM
jclepine(8b)

Thank you MileHighGirl! I haven't had time to flip through any books yet, that is for Saturday. I'll look for this one while I'm in town so I can compare them.

She isn't that much of a beginner but when I gave her some veggie seeds and reminded her to harden them off if she started them inside, she had no idea what I meant so I explained.

I think flipping through the books will be better than just looking online which is all I've done so far.

Thanks all!

Jennifer

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 10:37AM
provogirl

Jennifer,

I just ordered "Gardening when it counts, growing food in hard times" from Amazon. I hadn't heard of it before Milehihggirl mentioned it. I pulled it up on Amazon and read about 12 pages in on the "preview" before I ordered it. It is definitely a book meant to be read cover to cover. The Sunset book you can use more like a reference book when you need to look something up. I have read it cover to cover though. It is more "visual" than Gardening when it counts. Both seem like good books and very different books too.

Milehighgirl- Thanks for the book advice...even if it wasn't meant for me!!! I can't wait till if comes and I can start reading. Now only to find time to squeeze in another book to read.

ProvoGirl

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 3:20PM
More Discussions
E-mail tree?
So, I was thinking, after the difficulty I had getting...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
roof ice damming in Denver area?
I know this isn't garden related, but was wondering...
mstywoods
Anybody bored...wanna play a guessing game?!
Trying to figure out what this bush is. This photo...
lkcrawford
Ready for Harvest :o)
Here's what some of the plants look like in my greenhouse...
digit
Something New in the Tomato Patch
Often, I have allowed a volunteer tomato to grow each...
digit
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™