Unknown rose from ARE

jbfoodie(z10 CA)September 14, 2006

I purchased an Etoile de Lyon from ARE last fall and I am sure that this rose is not EdL. I confirmed my suspicions when bought one from Vintage (to replace the mislabeled one from ARE) and the Vintage version is definitely different. I received no help from ARE with this problem, needless to say I will not purchase from them again. Anyway, can anyone 'name this rose?' This is a picture of the foliage:

This is the flower:

The bush is full of PM, where the EdL from Vintage is not. Thanks in advance for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cayene(z9 Louisiana)

Wish I could help you with the I.D. on this one as I am in the same boat as you. I have two so called EdL's from ARE and they definitely are not the same rose that Vintage sells as EdL (which I have also). I called ARE earlier this year about their EdL and was told that they would check to see if their stock was "contaminated" which I guess means "misnamed" but they never got back with me.
btw, the rose that Vintage sells as EdL is the same as Bermuda's Anna Olivier.

Bookmark   September 20, 2006 at 6:30PM
jbfoodie(z10 CA)

Cayenne--this is the same rose I was wondering about in an earlier thread, but I did not have a picture then. I am pretty certain that it is Blumenschmidt based on the pictures and descriptions I have gathered from various websites. I do not know if you recall, but I had the same experience as you did with ARE getting back to me. I also have a thread going on the Antique Rose Forum, which I posted the same time as this one and it received many responses. I think from now on I will post mystery roses there as they seem to get more attention. thanks for the tip--Anna O--and thanks for responding!!

Bookmark   September 20, 2006 at 7:36PM
cayene(z9 Louisiana)

I have Blumenschmidt and the ARE version of EdL is not the same rose. ARE's version of EdL is unlike any of other 80 plus teas I have in my garden.

Bookmark   September 20, 2006 at 8:31PM
jbfoodie(z10 CA)

I am including the link to the Vintage website, which depicts Blumenschmidt in all its blooming phases--bud, newly opened and aged bloom. My rose looks exactly like this picture. Also, in the Vintage Gardens Rose book it states that B is prone to mildew in coastal climates. My rose has mildew that won't quit. What does your B look like? Do you have any pictures you can post? I would love to see it. If my rose is not B, then I have exhausted all the possiblilities so far.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blumenschmidt at Vintage Website

Bookmark   September 20, 2006 at 9:03PM
jbfoodie(z10 CA)

Cayenne--do you have any pictures of your Blumenschmidt that you can post here? I would very much like to see it. I have the Vintage EdL now and it is nothing like my mystery rose. I love my Vintage version.

Bookmark   September 23, 2006 at 8:25PM
soff(belgium)

did you look at homere or mme de wateville?
My mme does ball a lot, but it commes from p beales and the picture look the same to me
Homere is that kind of rose too, mine didn't flower, jut a cutting!

Bookmark   December 11, 2006 at 4:23AM
More Discussions
Large fragrant apricot rose ID.
I'm trying to ID this apricot rose that came with my...
fireballsocal
The name of the rose
While searching for yellow roses on Google a couple...
johnb45
Pink fortuniana? White carnea? Or...?
When I was a kid in North Carolina (during the Reagan...
tdfromnc
Please help identify this rose
Hello everyone, I saw a video on YouTube about roses...
Jesse Ortiz
Sponsored Products
George Kovacs Rings Collection 31 1/4 " Wide Bath Wall Light
Euro Style Lighting
Amya Yellow Quilt Set
$79.99 | zulily
Mia Satin Nickel Three-Light Bath Fixture with Habanero Glass
$391.50 | Bellacor
Kinsley Stools (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Auberge Monogrammed Tub Mat - WHITE (H)
$39.00 | Horchow