My unknown rose

beckiloveOctober 19, 2007

Hi! I bought this rose about 6-7 years ago at Walmart on clearance for probably $3. I have only this year become much more garden minded, and want to have the names of everything! I am hoping that maybe someone here can help me! This year is the biggest it's been - it's about 3 1/2' to 4' tall and had bloomed all season long. From looking at books, I am guessing it to be a hybrid tea, but that is a very uneducated guess! Thank you for any help you can give!

Becki

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beckilove

If it helps at all, I just counted the petals on one flower, and got 53. It is also quite fragrant. Okay, and thinking not a hybrid tea anymore, as it has usually more than one bud per stem. Thanks!
Becki

Bookmark   October 19, 2007 at 5:57PM
petaloid(SoCal 10a/24)

Hybrid tea roses often have side buds, as is shown in your photo. Weather and other factors can affect petal count.

It could be any number of roses in that color range. One it reminds me of is Fragrant Cloud (which most everyone finds very fragrant, as its name suggests).

I'll put a link to photos on the HelpMeFind website. Click on the thumbnail to see an enlarged photo and click on the Rose tab for a description:

Here is a link that might be useful: photos of Fragrant Cloud

Bookmark   October 19, 2007 at 8:05PM
garden2garden(z8 FL)

That was the first one came to my mind was Fragrant Cloud, too. I also have one from WalMart I got on sale 4 or 5 years ago. It just had several nice big blooms with this cooler weather we're having, so I have recently seen the blooms and it does remind me of them.

Bookmark   October 19, 2007 at 10:31PM
beckilove

Thank you! I have looked at the Fragrant Cloud info, and although it looks a lot like it, I have never seen any orangy color to it. Plus, I am in zone 5, where it reaches well below 20 degrees in the winter, and Fragrant Cloud is more suited for zones 8-10, according to that website. I've sadly never even protected it over the winter. But, it does look quite alike...

Thank you!
Becki

Bookmark   October 20, 2007 at 9:06AM
kandituft(5)

try using that same tool that's posted above and put in what you know (blackspot? size? fragrance?) - the rose looks really familiar I just can't place it right now

Bookmark   October 21, 2007 at 7:36PM
buffbeauty

Tropicana.

Bookmark   December 15, 2007 at 8:10PM
beckilove

Thank you SO MUCH!! I am pretty sure that is what it is! I remember buying one of those, but I thought it was one that didn't make it! Yay! Thank you, buffbeauty!!

Bookmark   December 15, 2007 at 9:11PM
More Discussions
Pink/Yellow Blend?
This was a rescue plant, so don't know what the name...
msdorkgirl
Please help to ID this rose
I found these rose plants near my hometown and all...
neddy_nam
Large fragrant apricot rose ID.
I'm trying to ID this apricot rose that came with my...
fireballsocal
Ebay red rose with beautiful silver-green leaves
I purchased what I thought was Olympiad on Ebay. I...
jasminerose4u, California
Red & white striped rose
I'm trying to identify my neighbor's red & white...
weberriver
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™