Question..planting harvested seeds HELP :)

mmmgonzo(z7 OR)January 19, 2007

Hi all,

I need some guidance from those who have planted rose seedlings. I took a bunch of seeds from hips and they have been in the fridge for 2 months.

I bought one of those jiffy peat pellet things to plant the 8 or so that have sprouted a root while in the fridge. But now I need help.

For some varieties I literally have over 60 seeds, maybe 100. How do you all plant these? In a big flat with no divisions (is it hard to replant the sproutlings later?)

I am overwhelmed with the cost and SPACE this might take up.

There has to be an easier way than what I am doing.

Any info/insight/suggestions appreciated.

I did read somewhere some put the seeds in baggies filled with moist sand and check for roots that way? Then plant?

Does it work?

Thanks,

Marleah

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gerry_wyomingpa(z6)

Marleah,

I know this is late, but better late then never.

I plant mine in individual cups, the 7oz or so plastic cups you can get at the grocery store near the paper plates. They work great for me, but I am running out of room quickly, and with the surgery this year, I may not be able to make any additional areas of lighting, so that can be a problem.

I do store them in the fridge in a baggie of damp coir until I see sprouts and then plant them in the cups, that does save some space in the beginning.

I hope this helps at least some.

Gerry

Bookmark   February 3, 2007 at 9:49AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mmmgonzo(z7 OR)

Thank you Gerry for your information and help.

So far I have only had one plant that I harvested hips from sprout in the fridge. I was hoping the others would follow suit. I have planted a few just to see if they will germinate in the peat pots .

One more question to anyone who is reading and can help.

Right now I have some roses in the peat pots with 2 sets of rose leaves, some have 3... they are still so tiny. Do they go into pots now or do I leave them in the peat pots to get bigger? Since they have made it so far, I dont want to do anything stupid and would like to see some blooms.

Thanks!
Marleah

Bookmark   February 4, 2007 at 4:55PM
More Discussions
How does a Tea rose bloom on a Bourbon rosebush?
Could this have been caused only by having a Tea parent? or...
luxrosa
Hawaii conditions probably not conducive to burrito method
Just wanted to share, I attempted to do the burrito...
msdorkgirl
rose cutting in plastic bag
I've taken 2 cuttings from a rose - picture attached...
lenarufus
Where to find the largest selection of Florist Roses?
I live in a pretty big city, Houston, but I am flummoxed...
kfoxxed
New to the art of roses, but would greatly appreciate some cuttings ..
I'm fairly new to growing and maintaining roses but...
naeger129
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™