Hot Weather Lettuce

Dan StaleyJuly 14, 2010

I may be repeating myself, but I have to share this lettuce: 'Mottistone'. A couple plants are just now starting to bolt, while the ones shaded are still going strong,, even after a bout of caterpillars. We've had quite a few days over 90ºF + and amazing resistance to heat. It has also made the 7 y.o. ask for salads almost daily.

Dan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
highalttransplant(z 5 Western CO)

Dan, I grew one this year that looks very similar, it's called Freckles. This one was planted at the community garden in full (all day) sun, and it still hasn't bolted. However, mine it almost completely green. I wonder if the amount of sun it gets altered the coloring a bit?

The Simpson Elite is starting to bolt, and the Cimmaron is looking like it is heading that way, but New Red Fire, and Nevada are still going strong.

None of the ones I'm growing are a solid red color though. Any thoughts on a good, heat resistant red lettuce?

It's going to be another scorcher today, so I'm thinking a salad for dinner sounds pretty good! I'm thinking there might even be a carrot or two that's ready for picking ...

Bonnie

Bookmark   July 14, 2010 at 10:57AM
Dan Staley

Bonnie, my 'Freckles' bolted already, looks similar but smaller dots, maybe sun is bleaching somewhat. I had a red-ish butterhead called 'Skyphos' that bolted early (but still took some heat) . 'Mottistone' is all I have left of all the "heat-tolerant" types. But my garden is against a south brick wall, so hotter here and warmer nights on the SW side of a hill...

Dan

Bookmark   July 14, 2010 at 11:32AM
digit(ID/WA)

Have I posted this link to that CSU research on lettuce varieties and bolting lately?

I think Nevada is a great choice. I guess I really should explore these Summer Crisp/Batavian choices a little more.

It's good to be able to celebrate a variety that performs well!

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Lettuce varieties

Bookmark   July 14, 2010 at 10:30PM
tobaira(5)

This is my first year but I've been having good luck with 'Salad Bowl' - I just wish I liked the taste better!!! oh well. I also have some 'Summertime' in but it's been slower going. I'm hoping it's better tasting.

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 2:50PM
More Discussions
"Your Best Tomatoes
I haven't had a successful tomato crop since I moved...
popmama Zone 5
Adding zone to your user name
First make sure you are logged into Houzz. Click on...
gjcore
Raised Bed - How to Deal with Dogs
We purchased a house a couple years ago that had a...
Sean Hull
Greenhouse, metal roof?
Hi, I'm in Victor, ID at 6500'. My husband is building...
ladypant
Eating my Poppies
I know, poppies are supposed to be one of those plants...
blueiris24
Sponsored Products
Runner Rug: Somerset Bay Lettuce Leaf 2' 6" x 8'
Home Depot
Area Rug: Aledo Beige 5' x 8'
Home Depot
Vlek Tabletop Pot
$150.00 | FRONTGATE
Upton Home Barringer Teak Outdoor Dining Table 5-piece Set
Overstock.com
Karastan Sierra Mar Sedona Ivory/Henna Rug (10' Round)
Overstock.com
Peppercorn Tenderloin
$165.00 | Horchow
52" Quorum Jubilee Satin Nickel Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Chaney Classic All-In-One Outdoor 16 in. Wall Clock - 00780
$38.92 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™