John Doe deserves his rightful name

DisplacedClevelander(6a)November 18, 2012

Before I really got into roses, I bought this awesome rose at Costco. Shoved it in the ground. Tossed out the container (with the name on it) and forgot about it. In the interim, this little shrub has turned out to be such a gem...! Thanks to this shrub, I've gained the confidence to grow since have planted 10 or so more.

I'm guessing that he is Oktoberfest but I could totally be wrong.

Description:

-- He is leggy like a hybrid tea. Each bloom is unique and the colors are definitely an orange blend. Orange. A bit of yellow. Light pink melting into hot pink. The intensity of the color changes with the heat. Normal thorns. Winter hardy (at least for my zone) and seems to be pretty disease resistant. Nice dark green foliage. No fragrance whatsoever (which is a total bummer). He is quite the stunner. If he was fragrant, Liberace would be an appropriate name.

I've labeled the mystery rose as an Oktoberfest but that's just a guess. If you click on the second page of photos, you'll see more photos of him. His colors really lightened up in the intense heat. As I was looking at my photos, I realized that I mislabeled Scentimental as Scentsational in one of the photos-- my apologies.

Thank you in advance for your help with this! You have no idea how excited/hopeful I am that someone on here can identify my John Doe for me!

Can't figure out how to post photos (read & reread the instructions) so I apologize for the extra work:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/loudgazelle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petaloid(SoCal 10a/24)

Have you checked HelpMeFind? I find it very helpful, and will put a link below to the Oktoberfest listing -- check the photos tab for more pictures:

Here is a link that might be useful: Oktoberfest

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 3:47PM
DisplacedClevelander(6a)

Here is a picture that I uploaded of the mystery rose.

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 4:36PM
DisplacedClevelander(6a)

Whoops! Accidentally hit submit before I intended to.. Here is a second photo of this mystery rose.

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 4:38PM
intris(6)

Sometimes rose colors change with the temperature and climate. Your Mister Lincoln looks very bright/vivid. I'll admit, I'm an amateur rose grower, but check out Colorific.

You also said "little shrub." Is the plant a miniature bush? If so, it could be Hot Tamale. Those are my guesses.

Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 4:59PM
DisplacedClevelander(6a)

No, it's definitely not a miniature bush. I meant little in fullness. Granted, it is only two years old so it still have some filling out to do but I am 99.99% sure it's not a miniature bush (considering how big those blooms are).

Thanks so much for your guess! Also appreciate the kind words about my Mister Lincoln. He is super bright, especially paired next to Oklahoma.

Will be sure to check out Colorific! Again, thanks for helping me on my quest to identify my John Doe!

Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 1:45PM
intris(6)

You wouldn't believe this. I was just browsing through the roses on sale on a website, and I think I found your mystery rose!

Perfect Moment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grow Quest

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 4:09PM
DisplacedClevelander(6a)

AHHH!!!! YES!!!! Holy smokes!! You are right!! That is awesome. John Doe no more! So excited. Thank you. You just made my night.

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 12:12AM
More Discussions
Red & white striped rose
I'm trying to identify my neighbor's red & white...
weberriver
Please ID this rose
see 4 photos Please let me know if you need more photos...
gcotterl
Unknown Week's rose
Just bought this from a nursery that sells no tag roses....
kublakan
Please help identify this rose
Hello everyone, I saw a video on YouTube about roses...
Jesse Ortiz
Ebay red rose with beautiful silver-green leaves
I purchased what I thought was Olympiad on Ebay. I...
jasminerose4u, California
Sponsored Products
Kas Rugs Blinds & Shades Cushy Shag Rug Red Heather 7 ft. 6 in. x 9 ft. 6 in.
Home Depot
Hip to be Square Chair in White
$159.99 | Dot & Bo
24" POLYWOOD Round Bar Height Table
Fifthroom.com
Michael McHale Designs | Tribeca 9-Bulb Compact Chandelier
YLighting
Corona Chair & Ottoman Reproduction-Red - 100% Italian Leather
IFN Modern
Patch Magic Snowman Quilt Twin 65 x 85-Inch Bedding
$238.00 | Bellacor
Sapphire Right Chaise Sectional - Blue