Is anyone having trouble with Ironite?

mla2ofusJuly 2, 2013

I have really high alkaline soil and regularly use ironite. This year it didn't seem to help at all. I finally went to a good nursery/greenhouse for help and the manager told me that Ironite had changed the types of iron they used. That it still worked well for slightly alkaline soil but the soil around here is so alkaline that it locks the new stuff up. He recommended Chelated Iron with magnesium. I've used it before and liked it so hopefully my poor yellow plants will green up and thrive now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
david52_gw

I live on high alkaline soils as well. I tried using ironite the first few years I was here to fight chlorosis in some willow trees.

I was never very impressed with the cost-benefit ratio. Started looking into it a bit, and the professionals use a chelated iron spray - far more effective. They use this stuff on stadium fields as well to get that really deep green.

I dunno about the magnesium. It couldn't hurt.....

But I have started using Azomite, a combination of all kinds of trace minerals including Iron and Mg that, theoretically, should make a difference in leached out soils. [after dumping umpty acre feet of irrigation water on my property, I could reasonably conclude I might be a candidate].

I've added it to my vegetable beds and containers.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to azomite info

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 12:02PM
richsd

I don't care for Ironite at all. Here's what to look for in a micronutrient supplement:

water soluble zinc (either zinc sulfate or chelated zinc- make sure it's water soluble though)

manganese should be sprayed on foliage, not applied to the soil because it gets bound by alkaline soils. This applies to chelated or manganese sulfates.

iron chelate EDDHA is the most useful iron for alkaline soils. BUT, it's expensive!! You don't need to use a lot, however.

Good luck!

Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 9:42PM
Ivywild142(6a)

Iron sulfate is good for bringing the pH down. I use it on my blueberry and magnolia plants that need acid soil.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 11:32PM
More Discussions
Batten down the hatches!
Hi all, Well, NOAA just changed the Front Range (and...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
Your Seed Catalogs
Are they showing up in the mail box? The 2015 Stokes...
digit
Holly, potatoes!
I tried to send you an email but apparently the mobile...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Anyone interested in unusual peonies take a look at Adelman's
Just got the catalog for Adelmans Peony Paradise for...
lizbest1
Thornless blackberries in CO?
I've got a front yard veggie/fruit/perennial garden...
packardce
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™