neem oil

belleville_rose_grJanuary 28, 2007

has anyone used neem oil for blackspot.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

I did a google.com search for Neem oil and black spot. I copied this from a website:

Black spot, caused by the fungus Diplocarpon rosae, produces black spots with feathery or fibrous margins on the upper surfaces of leaves and stems. Small black fruiting bodies are often present in spots on the upper sides of leaves. There is no fungal growth on the undersides of leaves.

The fungus requires free water to reproduce and grow, so leaves should not be allowed to remain wet for more than 7 hours. (When hosing off aphids, do it in the morning so leaves have a chance to dry by midday.) Provide good air circulation around bushes. Remove fallen leaves and other infested material and prune out infected stems during the dormant season. Black spot is usually not a problem in most of California. Miniature roses are more susceptible than other types, although a few varieties are reliably resistant to all strains of black spot. If required, fungicides (such as chlorothalonil or triforine) can be applied preventively. A combination of sodium bicarbonate or potassium bicarbonate plus horticultural oil (as discussed above under "Powdery mildew") or neem oil has also been shown to be effective in reducing black spot.

Bookmark   January 28, 2007 at 2:21PM
More Discussions
Another Houzz change-sending messages without following
Meredith posted this on the Antique Roses forum: In...
jasminerose4u, California
First time hybridizing -- Have a specific goal. Need advice
Hello, everyone! I have been thinking of trying my...
Greg
Chicago Peace Rose Help
Ok everyone I am looking for a Chicago peace rose for...
for_my_kids
Grafting roses on fortuniana
Hi guys, Last summer I rooted various cuttings of fortuniana...
SoFL Rose z10
Burrito Method -- aargh
Hay caramba! My cuttings got off to a head start thanks...
idixierose
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™