Cheat grass

david52 Zone 6July 31, 2012

I saw this article today about controlling cheat grass with a biological control - thought I'd post it for all of you who have spent time pulling cheat grass spears out of your socks, dog ears, etc. And if you've ever seen a field of this stuff burn, its like gasoline.

I have an infestation of the stuff in one of my borders and all along the driveway. I swear this stuff is impossible to kill. This spring, when the wee plants were just an inch high, I sprayed with roundup. Twice. They turned red, and shot up seed heads anyway.

Right now, with the rains we've had, next year's crop is up and running already.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to article

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sorie6(6b ok.)

Interesting. It's kink of like when they tried to kill the Tamric tree in Southern Colo. with some kind of beetle because they use up so much water. I never heard how that all came out?

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 8:17PM
david52 Zone 6

Actually, pretty well. I was driving the Dolores River through Gateway, then up the Colorado east of Grand Junction, and the beetles have done a serious number - about half way up the canyons.

There is some concern now about the loss of bird habitat, but in the over all scheme of things, which seems to be an absolute onslaught of invasive species all over the place, maybe the birds will figure something out.

It remains to be seen if the willow and cottonwood return.

Next up, Russian Olive. And that, by the way, both the bears and raccoons enjoy the berries, so I suspect they're edible.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 10:51AM
aquawise(zone 4 Utah)

We have both trees here in central Utah and they are taking over every bit of wetland we have. Foxtail grass and June grass (cheat grass) are a huge problem as well. I spray the grass and control them pretty well, But the others ????? wish there was and easy answer. Now I will go read the link. Thanks Gayla in Utah

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 11:13AM
More Discussions
Hope you all found it alright!!
I think we need to do a roll call. Is anyone else reeling...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
How much light for seedlings...
I've started plants indoors as always. I have my seedlings...
bob_in_colorado
remove russian olive
At my gfs house she has a russian olive tree growing...
gjcore
Raspberry variety advice
I want to plant one of my sunniest garden beds to Raspberrys....
eatsivy
Greenhouse, metal roof?
Hi, I'm in Victor, ID at 6500'. My husband is building...
ladypant
Sponsored Products
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Linon Home Decor Rugs Athena Natural and Blue 5
Home Depot
Grass UniSoft Soft Close Damper 25-pack for Cabinet Doors
Overstock.com
Grass Gator Weed II Replacement Head - 1223-0934
$26.99 | Hayneedle
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Linon Home Decor Rugs Athena Natural and
$57.97 | Home Depot
Hand-crafted Solid Green Casual Ridges Wool Rug (6' x 9')
Overstock.com
Master Mark Plastics 20 ft. Professional Landscape Edging - 1432-4024
$24.99 | Hayneedle
Elements Satin Nickel Three-Light Flush Mount with Grass Cloth Natural Fiber Sha
$288.00 | Bellacor
Grass Green Upholstered Storage Bench
$124.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™