Normally I'd cut off those little suckers, but....

bob_in_coloradoJuly 10, 2011

I have a spring snow flowering crabapple that has not grown very much in 5 years. I have another that's going gangbusters. I pruned the non-growing one and POW!, it send off suckers instead of new growth. They're growing very rapidly. I'm considering leaving them alone. The suckers are already more than half as tall as the original trunk.

An earlier post of mine I talked about pear trees getting girdled by bunnies. One has made it, the other has not however it is sending up new trunks. The tree is not grafted. It's an Asian pear.

Is it worth waiting? I'm very patient

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
treebarb Z5 Denver

Bob,
How old is the non-growing Spring Snow? Is it older and in decline or just not doing well? Are you letting the suckers grow to replace the non growing trees? If so, pick one or two, then cut the original tree down and let the suckers get going, then pick one of the suckers as the new tree and prune out the second sucker. Right now the suckers are just pulling resources from the original tree.

I lost a small Washington Hawthorne winter before last. I cut back the main trunk this spring and it's got probably 15 suckers. I need to get them culled, so thanks for the reminder!

Patience is a wonderful and necessary quality for a gardener in Colorado to have.

Barb

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 8:49AM
mstywoods(z5, Westminster, CO)

So my Peach and Apple tree have both been producing suckers. I've been leaving them, because both trees were having some issues. The original young peach trunk has been rather lopsided, so I thought maybe leaving the suckers might eventually balance it out - or replace the original trunk. My apple tree, if you remember my post awhile back, had what appeared to be some type of blight. I had cut off all the portions of stems that were infected, and it started putting out a bunch more leaves along all of it's branches ... and suckers. Perhaps I should cut back the suckers on it, now that the original trunk is actually looking nice (I wasn't sure it was going to make it, so that's why I left the suckers).

Marj

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 9:56PM
david52_gw

Make sure that the suckers are coming above the graft. A lot of times, they come from the rootstock, which isn't much help.

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 10:56AM
treebarb Z5 Denver

David,

Good point! I really don't know much about grafts and fruit trees. I just have 2 cherry and 3 apple trees so far. I bet the orchards forum could give Bob and Marge some great advice!

Barb

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 8:14PM
More Discussions
I Think I'd Have Trouble in Denver
... or most anywhere in Colorado! Such high elevations....
digit
Something New in the Tomato Patch
Often, I have allowed a volunteer tomato to grow each...
digit
getting ready!
So I decided to remodel my seed starting this year....
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Lettuce without direct sun?
Hi, everyone! I'm thinking of putting a raised Bed...
flowerridge
Crops That Can Thrive At Lower Temps
Hey gardening geniuses.... glad to see most of us made...
garnergarden
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™