Squash problems :(

Rosie025July 27, 2011

My squash plants were looking great, and starting to blossom a ton, but all of a sudden, on two of them, the leaves are starting to turn brown and die. What is going on? Could it be bugs? The excessive amounts of rain? Should I pull them? Fertilize them?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Rose

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digit(ID/WA)

Rose, I'm am not going to be a great deal of help. I will caution you against giving what may be a sick plant, fertilizer.

Stunting, yellowing -- those are signs of nitrogen deficiency. Deficiencies of other common nutrients may be shown by veining of the leaves and symptoms that add to the mix. Leaf death doesn't come to mind as one of them.

Your ground may have become seriously water-logged and the plants could be showing signs of that. That seems the most likely to me but a problem like that is nearly impossible in the porous soil that I have to garden in. So, I'll go back to that idea that I am not of much help.

Plants have requirements and gardeners often have a strong tendency to try to overcome one problem by fertilizer use. Yes, it can be very helpful - to a growing plant. One that is having trouble with a problem may just be overwhelmed by overfeeding.

Now, perhaps, my response will prompt others to comment from their own, more local, knowledge and experiences.

Steve

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 8:47AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cnetter(z5 Co)

Look under the leaves for squash bugs. I've just noticed that I have a ton of these bugs in the last few days. Lots and lots, with lots of eggs too. I've never seen them this bad this early in the season before.

Bookmark   July 30, 2011 at 9:03PM
More Discussions
Spring Swap
Hi All, as discussed at the last spring swap, my sisters...
gjmancini
Crops That Can Thrive At Lower Temps
Hey gardening geniuses.... glad to see most of us made...
garnergarden
Dig your own water well?
Fort Collins City government's idea of water conservation...
ion_source_guy
Spring Swap official site
Good Day all, Just wanted to start an official site...
gjmancini
Holly, potatoes!
I tried to send you an email but apparently the mobile...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™