potting up chile plants indoors for the winter ...??

vieja_gw(z7NM)October 10, 2010

I am thinking of replanting some Bhut plants to pots indoors this Fall. They are perennials aren't they? Will they drop their leaves & the grow more or will the plant stay pretty much as it is now with lots of leaves or will they go dormant & the grow again in the spring? Have never tried doing this but read that both chile & tomatoes are perennials & can be kept alive in frost-free conditions so was curious to try it... not that we need any more chile in winter! Thanks for any ideas!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shoontok

Yep from what i understand and read online is that pepper plants can be kept alive for several years if not exposed to cold frosty weather.
I have already potted and pruned down a few of my pepper plants to overwinter on a windowsill in my kitchen. Time will tell if they make it through the winter ;)
There are a few more older threads about overwintering plants on this forum.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pepper/msg090801272024.html?63

Bookmark   October 10, 2010 at 10:53PM
fiedlermeister(04/05)

I usually over winter some. A few actually produce but most just survive ( some don't). With those that do you have a big head start next year so I think it's worth it if you have the room.

john

Bookmark   October 11, 2010 at 8:33AM
hellbound

here in phoenix they survive indefinatly i have some numex big jim going on 2 years now we get a spring crop and a fall crop

Bookmark   October 11, 2010 at 12:55PM
tsheets(5)

They will likely loose a lot of their existing leaves, but, will start showing new growth within a couple of weeks.

Bookmark   October 13, 2010 at 2:53PM
vieja_gw(z7NM)

tsheets: so then I can just plant the entire plant with a root ball/dirt x the garden into big pots indoors? I don't need to really prune the plant or the roots much? I have never done this before so was going to try this as an experiment & appreciate your input! I guess some wilt/leaf drop will occur even if I water with transplant sol'n.? at first?

Bookmark   October 18, 2010 at 8:08PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

I would recommend replacing the soil so that you don't bring the garden's pests in for the winter.

Josh

Bookmark   October 18, 2010 at 8:19PM
tsheets(5)

As greenman suggests, I bare-root them and trim both the tops and roots to fit them (generally) into a 1 gal (roughly) pot. By bare-rooting you minimize the critters you bring in as well as having a more appropriate medium for a potted plant (lighter, better draining, etc..). I did have to use a larger (maybe 4 gal) pot on a second year fatalii this year.

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 12:13PM
vieja_gw(z7NM)

Done!! The two I potted & brought indoors haven't wilted at all so hope they survive now ... thanks for the suggestions!

Bookmark   October 28, 2010 at 9:43PM
tsheets(5)

Cool! Congrats! Now, just keep an eye out for aphids and such, and be ready for them when/if they show up. :-)

Bookmark   October 29, 2010 at 10:06AM
vieja_gw(z7NM)

tsheets: maybe we will be lucky ... hope so! Really don't have room for any more indoor houseplants but thought we'd give it a try this Fall for the first time. If they even survive being indoors this winter they would be placed out in the garden again next Spring. The Bhut seedlings x seed are SO slow to germinate & equally as slow to grow & then only do well the end of summer here!

Bookmark   October 31, 2010 at 6:58PM
More Discussions
Lemon Peppers
I grew these last year from store bought seeds. They...
cooperdr_gw
Show Your Seedlings
After all that work, gathering seeds, trying to germinate,...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
I had it bookmarked
It looks like it is the whole enchilada, not that cut...
ronnyb123
Seed soak
IIs 24 hours too long? I won't be home until then....
peps_22
Cotton bugs (?) with pictures.
I planted a jolokia back in October from a seed. It...
Anthony Pomerinke
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™