Rocky Ford cantaloups

colokid(5)July 30, 2012

Are those good rocky ford cantaloups hybrid or can i save seed from them?

Only place i can buy them here is from truck parked along the road. None in the stores. The stores only have those hard not ripe,things.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elkwc(6b)

It depends on the variety. There are several varieties grown and sold as Rocky Ford cantaloupes. As an example Burrell Seeds in Rocky Ford who has been in business for 113 years sells several of each. Among the open pollinated varieties are: Burrell's Jumbo Hale's Best, Eden Gem, Four-Fifty, Powdery Mildew Resistant 45 and Topmark. Among the hybrids are Athena, Mt Pricneton, Primo, San Luis Western shipper and San Juan Western shipper.

You can save seeds of either. The seeds from the hybrid melon may not grow true. Jay

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 5:15PM
colokid(5)

Thanks, KennyP

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 4:03AM
elkwc(6b)

Kenny a Rocky Ford Cantaloupe is like a Vidalia onion or a Hatch chile. They are named for where they are grown and not the variety they are. I saved and grew seeds from a Hatch chile a few years ago. It was from a hybrid plant as there were several different fruit types and plant shapes. One in particular was good and I saved seeds from it and grew them up until this year. Jay

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 8:14PM
More Discussions
New perennial bed, need some ideas and help
So, I brought this up to Skybird in another thread...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
getting ready!
So I decided to remodel my seed starting this year....
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Batten down the hatches!
Hi all, Well, NOAA just changed the Front Range (and...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
Your Seed Catalogs
Are they showing up in the mail box? The 2015 Stokes...
digit
E-mail tree?
So, I was thinking, after the difficulty I had getting...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™