Late start dormant cuttings

gerry_wyomingpa(z6)February 15, 2006

I am getting a very late start on some dormant cuttings, but with the weather we have had, I do not think it is out of the question for it to work (I hope).

My question is, with the snow we may or may not get for the rest of the winter, as well as the spring rains, 'should' it be safe to use potting soil that has quick release and timed release fertiliser in it? I am think that the strength should be washed mostly out of it so that by the time roots form, it would be very mild.

If this does not seem like it would work, I could go out and get more, it is just that I have a partial bag of this and was thinking this would be a good way to use it up.

TIA for any suggestions.

Gerry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodroid(z9Tejas)

I'm not in dormant territory but this winter have been rooting R. fortuniana cuttings in Sta Green potting soil with some fert. in it. I just poked a big hole in the middle of 1 pint pots full of the potting soil and put sharp sand in the middle to stick the cuttings. Working great. When I put coir into the bottom of plastic cups to keep the sand from running out the drain holes like an hour glass, it seemed that the roots all grew into the coir and not the sand. So I used left over potting soil and it works. Someone says that the fert doesn't work till it warms up so I can't say anything about that, but I will stick with this setup. It has been warm here this winter more than most.I cover the pint pots with cutoff two liter coke bottles.

Bookmark   February 15, 2006 at 10:10PM
gerry_wyomingpa(z6)

Woodroid,

Thanks for the info. I was thinking it should work, as I mentioned the fert. should be pretty diluted by the time the roots form and then they would not burn (hopefully). I did not use sand at all, I just stuck them into the potting soil, they will be in a protected area, so I am hoping that the drainage will not be a problem. Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Bookmark   February 16, 2006 at 3:20AM
irish_rose_grower(z7 LI NY)

Hi Gerry, how did you make out with these cuttings?

Maureen

Bookmark   December 16, 2006 at 9:16AM
gerry_wyomingpa(z6)

Maureen,

Got quite a few to root with that, I am finding that reusing old potting mix, that from the annuals and such that were potted in the summer seems pretty good too, guess we will know that come next spring.

Gerry

Bookmark   December 16, 2006 at 11:14AM
More Discussions
Export/Import
I am living part of the year in Belgium(Europe) and...
staart
Magic Wand
Does anyone have rooted cuttings of magic wand available?...
littleblackbat
Seeking R. Primula
I'd happily get this from a nursery if I could find...
Helen Forsyth
Rose Tree Grafting Project: Hydra & Ninetails/Kurama
I've recently learn about the "40 fruits tree"...
blackjacket
Looking every where for a Moon Shadow Rose
Okay, I have searched and researched the internet for...
stodgord488
Sponsored Products
54 x 34 Stone Shower Base Gray Genuine Granite - SPACIUM
Living'ROC
Carosella Rug 5' x 8' - LIGHT GREY
$499.00 | Horchow
Tech Lighting | Anali Pendant Light
$256.00 | YLighting
Inca Polished Chrome One-Light Wall Sconce
$74.00 | Bellacor
Black Copper Mini Pendant with Charcoal Spiral Glass
$94.60 | Bellacor