Question About Size of Cutting

alameda/zone 8February 3, 2008

I accidentally whacked off what I thought was dead wood on Barbara Worl/Grandmother's Hat yesterday to find it was good, live wood. It is a good thick cane at least 1/2" - 1" diameter. I have cut it into 3 4" pieces. This is much larger than any cuttings I have ever taken. Will this root or is it too large? Thanks!

Judith

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debbysunshine(san diego)

I've got some 15" cuttings going but the size doesn't matter but what I have is sitting in a southern window with a glass of water and a bit of Vodka a couple of tbls. and mine got new leaves so qick with the Vodka but the ones that show stress which I haven't had in years would be tossed. You might try the Vodka since the sites on line show that it keeps them from damping out and I have a great cutting already in the pot outside for a month now, just kind of a skinny subject but an important cutting and it's doing great in Supersoil, perlite, and a drop of Vodka just the cheapest kind in my water, but it doesn't bloom as fast as that in the kitchen window in water because I just stuck this cutting right in the dirt. Have a great season.. Debby

Bookmark   February 3, 2008 at 6:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
object16

Do you mean the thickness of the cane? It should be fine.
But let us know, in any case. I vote that it will root.

Bookmark   February 4, 2008 at 6:09AM
More Discussions
Winter Rose Propagation
I live in Colorado where dry air and irregular weather...
pizzuti
Looking For Antique/Old Style Rose Cuttings
Back a few years ago when I started my rose garden,...
Debbie P Southern MD Zone 7
Another Houzz change-sending messages without following
Meredith posted this on the Antique Roses forum: In...
jasminerose4u, California
How do I name a rose
I have a pretty pink sport of Medallion I want to share...
kittymoonbeam
Temperature in misting box.
Does anyone have ideas on how to reduce the temperature...
kfoxxed
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™