Cutting from climbers

amazon(6)February 6, 2007

I am not a rose expert by any means. i have only had luck with climbers and minis. Can anyone tell me how to get a cutting from a climber? What part of the plant do I cut and soil mix so on. Help!

i have a Golden showers, Don Juan and red blaze

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pecanmom66(8)

Mornin'

I am not an expert either, but I do pretty well with my cuttings on climbers and OGR.

When I take cutting wood, I try and take it after a good rain, within 2 days after a rain, and try not to take it when it is extremely hot day. I have taken cutting wood in the afternoon, but I make sure that it is below 80 degrees.

What I do is around May-Sept I look for new wood, wood that has grow this year and has hardened off some, that is from half the diameter of a pencil to the diameter of a pencil, and cut the wood off of the plant. Then cut in lenghts of about 4 to 6 inches, leaving at least 2 buds on each piece of the wood (more buds than that are fine). If you are rooting the cuttings right then, I use an average potting soil with slow release fertilizer, and I scrape the green off of the cutting with a razor all the way around for about a third of the length (try not to cut into the white layers of the wood, the cambiam layers). I dip it in root tone and put it in a small pot of soil. I do make a hole with my fingers in the soil, so that the rooting hormone won't get rubbed off, then I pat down the soil well. I keep watered, not soaked, and don't let it dry out. I set them outside under a tree so that they get filtered morning sun, and I shade them from the harsh late afternoon and evening sun. I live in south GA, so it will be hot during that time of year.

If you take the cuttings and cannot do them right then, I wrap them in wet papertowels, and then in a Ziploc bag or a plastic bag so that they will stay moist, and put them in the fridge so they will stay cool.

I usually have a 75 to 90 percent live on my roses that I do this way. Some varieties are harder than others to propagate, so keep trying. I took cuttings last August of Dr. W. Van Fleet from an abandoned house (I had permission from the family) late in the evening and I ended up with 144 cuttings, and as of this morning I have ALL but 8 of them living. I usually don't take that many cuttings of one kind, but the families wants some of the cuttings, and I have a few friends who I send them to.

I hope that I have helped you, and like I said earlier I am no expert but this is what works for me. Feel free to email me with any more questions.

Bookmark   February 14, 2007 at 9:40AM
More Discussions
Burrito Method -- aargh
Hay caramba! My cuttings got off to a head start thanks...
idixierose
Interesting rose rooting video on the industrial scale.
Just came across this video on stenting. It is amazing...
caflowerluver
Where to find the largest selection of Florist Roses?
I live in a pretty big city, Houston, but I am flummoxed...
kfoxxed
Best way to start from cuttings
I used to be really good at starting roses, and it...
LeeBeesGarden
rose cutting in plastic bag
I've taken 2 cuttings from a rose - picture attached...
lenarufus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™