Need advice

deannac(9b/S26/H10/Oviedo)February 28, 2011

Okay...I have a "Teasing Georgia" that's a monster. This thing will have canes that reach over my house, despite me hacking it to the ground every year. I get hundreds of blooms every spring.

Here's the question. I've never propagated a rose. I've got tons of soft, new growth and a trashcan full of old growth. Can I put the soft cuttings in water and will they form roots OR do I go back last years canes and get the cutting from there?

Thanks so much (for now, I've got 3' long canes covered with new growth in a can of water, lol.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floridarosez9

I have never been able to start roses in water, but I've read where other people have.

I start mine in a very light potting mix. I use about a 6" piece that's bloomed. They strike better if the cane has a spent bloom. I remove all but the top two or three leaves, dip it in rooting hormone and then stick in the potting mix. I usually stick two or three cuttings in each pot. I put them under misters in my flowerbed. If you don't have misters, keep soil moist. I don't have luck with summer cuttings here because of the heat. Mine do best in fall or spring.

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 12:23PM
malibu_rose(z10CA)

Actually, Teasing Georgia is pretty easy to root. I once took a 8" cutting and just stock it in potting soil and it rooted- No rooting powder. Later I did the same thing with another Teasing Georgia cutting and it rooted also. This was last spring.

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 12:44AM
phatboyrose(N/W FL. - 8)

I find rooting Teasing Georgia easy to root just give it a try seems you have enought matrial to try a couple of ways.
Harold

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 8:49PM
More Discussions
Rose Tree Grafting Project: Hydra & Ninetails/Kurama
I've recently learn about the "40 fruits tree"...
blackjacket
Rose seedlings coming up!
Just thought I'd let y'all know that I have at least...
vmr423
Where to find the largest selection of Florist Roses?
I live in a pretty big city, Houston, but I am flummoxed...
kfoxxed
Chicago Peace Rose Help
Ok everyone I am looking for a Chicago peace rose for...
for_my_kids
First time hybridizing -- Have a specific goal. Need advice
Hello, everyone! I have been thinking of trying my...
Greg
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™