Veronica speedwell 'Goodness Grows' - Is she dead?

shadygarden_CO(z5 Denver)July 4, 2008

What's wrong with this Veronica? I planted her last year and she weathered the winter and bloomed beautifully, but now she is either dying or is dead. Does anybody know what is wrong with her and what, if anything, I did wrong? Maybe she doesn't get enough sun?

Marlene

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado

From my experience when I was selling it, 'Goodness Grows' was extremely susceptible to powdery mildew. I can't tell from the picture, but is there any chance the leaves were covered with mildew and that's why they died down? How much sun is there? Too much shade would definitely not help with mildew. Is there any sign of new growth at the crown? It looks like it, but I can't tell if that's just something else growing into it. Either way I think I'd cut it all the way down to the ground and see what happens.

'Royal Candles' is a really nice Veronica I've been growing in my yard for three years now, and I've never seen any sign of mildew, and, if deadheaded promptly, it keeps blooming for at least a couple months. And it's very upright and won't need any support at all like you did with the GG.

Skybird

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 4:17PM
More Discussions
Crops That Can Thrive At Lower Temps
Hey gardening geniuses.... glad to see most of us made...
garnergarden
Like to See What is Happening
... in Rocky Mountain weather compared to "normals." Choose...
digit
Batten down the hatches!
Hi all, Well, NOAA just changed the Front Range (and...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
I Think I'd Have Trouble in Denver
... or most anywhere in Colorado! Such high elevations....
digit
What are Your Plans
... for the yard and garden, this year? Zach has some...
digit
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™