Liriope in zone 5 windy western exposure?

susankaJuly 7, 2008

Hi -- Our landscaper just planted 5 liriope muscari in our back yard in a very windy and exposed location. I love the way it looks now, but is it going to last? Google doesn't say so. We're in the Greenhorn Valley, elevation about 5500 feet, looking southwest.

Thanks much. I just got home from work and he's got them in already; would like to leave them if they have a decent chance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jclepine(8b)

I'm not sure about your zone but I'm pretty sure that it only goes to zone six. Maybe there will be some more experienced responses.
good luck!
J

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 10:59PM
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado

Hi Susanka,

IÂve never grown it myself, so I donÂt have any personal experience with it, but when I was selling perennials weÂd buy some in every now and then to sell, and the main thing I remember about the stuff is that we had trouble keeping it even looking good enough in the pots to sell. It was always my understanding that it just doesnÂt like our dry air out here, and IÂm thinking itÂs not too wild about our soils either. If you have a choice I think IÂd tell them to take it back out and put something else in, or else at least get it in writing that theyÂll come back to replace it within the next year if itÂs not doing well.

And I agree with Jennifer that itÂs only considered hardy to z6, but since there are z6 things we all manage to successfully grow, I donÂt think that would be the most limiting factor.

If you decide to keep itÂor need to keep itÂI hope it works out for you.

Skybird

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 12:05AM
susanka

Thanks, both. They said they'd replace them, although these are already replacements for other stuff that died. Wish me luck!

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 1:42PM
More Discussions
Batten down the hatches!
Hi all, Well, NOAA just changed the Front Range (and...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
New perennial bed, need some ideas and help
So, I brought this up to Skybird in another thread...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Spring Swap official site
Good Day all, Just wanted to start an official site...
gjmancini
Anyone interested in unusual peonies take a look at Adelman's
Just got the catalog for Adelmans Peony Paradise for...
lizbest1
I could build that!
Well, why not ? No, that floor isn't sloping. There's...
digit
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™