growing roses from clippings this time of yr.

woody64(5a)February 15, 2013

I got some clippings from the local florist at valentines day cause I figured they will be the freshest since they sell so many at this time of yr and want to try and grow some from the clippings.I 've had some success in the summer with clippings but not this time of yr. Has anyone had any success trying to propagate roses in late winter? If so what was your method?thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eahamel(9a)

Well, I have one that has done surprisingly well. It broke off one of my antique roses and I stuck it in a pot and gee, it rooted. But you have a very different situation and climate. Have you already planted them? Seems like 2 weeks ago is a long time to get them and not plant them. A lot of those florist roses won't root, but some people have had some success with them. If you do a search for rose propagation her on GW, there's a huge, huge thread with a lot of info about how to root roses, and some people discuss those florist roses, pros and cons. I read it a while back and it was fun.

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 6:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

It's the same procedure as doing them in the summer but the trick is to get them enough light and to keep the humidity high around them inside. If your weather is like mine a "sunny" window sill isn't going to be enough light. You'll need to put them under some grow lights. And humidities inside a home are never high enough so I keep mine on a try of pebbles with water in it. But you don't want the bottom of the pot in the water! It needs to sit above the water so the soil isn't soaking but the air around the pot has a higher humidity.

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 4:09PM
More Discussions
Best way to start from cuttings
I used to be really good at starting roses, and it...
LeeBeesGarden
Grafting roses on fortuniana
Hi guys, Last summer I rooted various cuttings of fortuniana...
SoFL Rose z10
First time hybridizing -- Have a specific goal. Need advice
Hello, everyone! I have been thinking of trying my...
Greg
Looking every where for a Moon Shadow Rose
Okay, I have searched and researched the internet for...
stodgord488
Chicago Peace Rose Help
Ok everyone I am looking for a Chicago peace rose for...
for_my_kids
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™