transplanting mature roses

thepaperroseFebruary 1, 2007

I have what I believe to be a grandiflora that has been in the same place for probably 20 or 30 yrs. As far as I know it has never been touched. I've trimmed off all of the dead parts to it, now it's about half the size it was. It's about 8-10 ft tall, about 10-12 ft across, there are four 'stalks' at the base about 1-1.5" across. One of these comes out horizontally. My question is this: What is the best way to move a plant this large? I figure I'll have to do it bare root, then come back for some of it's dirt to try to reduce some of the shock. Should I remove the part that comes up horizontally? I'm going to assume that it will need support (It's leaning on several downed trees), what is the best way to do this? Any insight I can get is greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tinus

Hello,
I also have a grandiflora...it was in the garden of the house I bought and has been there for more than 30 years,...It is a very beautifull rose and I didn't want to loose it but it was standing in the way...
One day my neighbour and I just decided to move it (I had watered it thoroughly during a week before each day)...we dug it up and put it in the new hole, watered it well....
This was in september or october...and it is doing fine!
I was surprised it all worked out so well...it had a bud on it and it flowered some days after moving!

Tinus

Bookmark   February 1, 2007 at 8:30PM
bodiCA(9/N.CA)

I just read about deep spading and wedging out to fill with fresh rooting soil, then weeks later digging up and moving. Any one tried this?

Bookmark   February 2, 2007 at 12:03AM
mgleason56(Michigan 5b)

paper,

Where in Mi are you located? I'm down in Brownstown, which is about 15 miles south of Detroit.

My suggestion would be to wait until the ground is diggable and remove as much of the root system as possible. I would then transplant to the biggest pot you can get and use good potting soil to fill pot. Remove the horizontal cane, along with any that look weak. I do this quite a bit in late March/early April without the roses suffering one bit. You can then plant it later in spring where you like without having to worry about shock.

Speaking of transplanting, I'll be removing about 50 or so roses from my gardens come spring. These are all patented roses that I have decided to donate to members of our local rose society (DownRiver Rose Society). So if you are in the area, think about joining. We have a pretty informal group here with some real knowledgeable folks. The Lindleys from GLR, along with members such as Tom McMillan, who is the breeder of some great exhibition roses such as Rejoice and Affirm.

Bookmark   February 3, 2007 at 10:54PM
More Discussions
my propagations normally turn brown/black
I have one that hasn't turned black. It has been in...
skmiller
Where to find the largest selection of Florist Roses?
I live in a pretty big city, Houston, but I am flummoxed...
kfoxxed
cuttings for rooting
I have been a miniature rose lover for a long time...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Air layering
This may have been posted here but I could not find...
derby41
New to the art of roses, but would greatly appreciate some cuttings ..
I'm fairly new to growing and maintaining roses but...
naeger129
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™