Is this Tomato Spotted Wilt? Do we even have that in CO?

kristin5bco5300ft(5b)July 28, 2008

I've posted this to the tomato forum but thought you all might be more familiar with CO tomato diseases. This is my first year with tomatoes and I have 1 Early Girl in a large container that recently (last few days) developed some light brown spots, mostly circular (not raised), on the fruit. You can't see them too well in the image but they are not holes (as in, I assume that this is not a pest in the fruit). Interestingly, the marks are (so far) confined to the south side of each affected fruit.

Most of the leaves look healthy enough (to me) but I have taken a picture of one with white and brown spots on the top surface. The other tomatoes (1 Early Girl and 1 Sweet 100) nearby look fine.

Weather here in Boulder, CO has been hot and sunny (90+ for weeks).

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated! The closest thing I have found is Tomato Spotted Wilt but I am not at all sure that's what I have.

--Kristin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digit(ID/WA)

Someone once told me that if you suspect disease, first think bugs!

Insects are often the vectors of disease so they don't just share a bite of your garden produce. The damage may continue after the critter has gone on to other things.

I'm not in Colorado but the conversation around here often turns to flea beetles and the damage they do to our gardens. This is something of an unknown or, at least, of little concern in many parts of the country.

Take a look at the damage to this tomato and imagine that the scars aren't healing quite as nicely. Then look at this foliage and realize that the beetles don't always punch a hole completely thru the leaf. I think "craters" are the result about 90% of the time. You may have a better idea of the cause if you turn the leaf over and look at the underside.

I don't know but it could be that the plants and fruit are suffering from having been chewed on some time ago. So this is just my 2 cents.

digitS'

Bookmark   July 28, 2008 at 8:15PM
digit(ID/WA)

Oh, and I'd remove this fruit and hope the plant can produce healthier tomatoes from here on out.

Here's wishing you the best.

d'S'

Bookmark   July 28, 2008 at 8:18PM
jaliranchr(z5 EC CO)

Every year I have leaves that look like that. It is usually either minor hail damage or psyllids. A little garden dust takes care of the psyllids. I wouldn't worry much.

Bookmark   July 28, 2008 at 11:26PM
kristin5bco5300ft(5b)

Thanks so much for your thoughts! I wasn't worried much about a little damage to the leaves (I have a few things that have been a bit nibbled but assumed that was to be expected since I hadn't really taken any steps toward pest control), but when I saw the marks on the fruit I was worried. As long as nobody seems to think this is anything serious I'll do as digitS' suggested and remove the damaged fruit.

Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 9:54AM
More Discussions
Slice of Pi for Your Birthdate ت
My birthday is the 88,173 digit of pi! ت Do you want...
digit
THE Best!
We all want wonderful flower and vegetable gardens...
digit
Roses for the Front Range- Highly recommended type
Everyone, I'd highly recommend that you check out Buck...
richsd
Online source for Jamesia americana?
I'm a central Washington / eastern Cascade Mountains...
Sagebrush Spring
Hope you all found it alright!!
I think we need to do a roll call. Is anyone else reeling...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Sponsored Products
Lindy Stripe Chair - BEIGE
$1,699.00 | Horchow
Princess Ice Scoop with Crystal Handle
$49.50 | FRONTGATE
Area Rug: John Black 8' x 10' Oval
Home Depot
Korver Chair - Key Largo Graphite Brown
Joybird Furniture
5-Pc. Motto for Perseverance Wall Decals
$27.99 | Dot & Bo
Night Bloomers Throw Pillow
$29.99 | zulily
Spyro Wall Sconce by Kichler
$193.60 | Lumens
Unique Rossette/Vase Design Ivory Hand Knotted 8'x10' Silk Kashan Area Rug H7177
BH Sun Inc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™