Black currants in Colorado

Olga2013July 6, 2013

Does anyone know what kinds of black currants will produce good crop in Colorado?Black currants and red currants grow well here, as well as gooseberries. I am looking for varieties that will not only give lush bushes but will give lots of berries. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flower_garden

I have one black currant called Ribes odoratum Crandall. So far it is doing very well and this year (year 3 I think) it looks like it will have a good crop. It is covered in bright yellow flowers in spring, and the bush itself is nice looking. Our neighborhood park has what I think is the same variety, and the past couple of years my kids and I have enjoyed picking several bags of them for our smoothies.

I also have a Red Lake currant bush, planted at the same time as the Crandall, which is much larger. However it has yet to produce any fruit.

Trish

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 6:40PM
Olga2013

Trish, thank you. I have consort black currant. But the berries are not large and more sour then the ones I ate as a child. Thank you. I will check Crandall out. I do have three RedLake red currants. However, only one out of three produces berries /they take turns. It seems that each bush produces once every three years/. I do have red currants on one bush this year.I would like to find a kind of black currant that fruits well in Colorado Springs, CO. Thank you very much again. Olga

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 12:16AM
margaretmontana(4-5MT)

Have grown black currants in Nevada and Montana. But starts that were given to me so couldn't tell you variety. Yellow blossoms and they produce very well. Even last year when all my fruit trees froze I still had black currants and Red Lake which are at least half the size of the black ones. We have taken suckers and now have at least six that are producing and are suckering more. Given a lot of water they can get to a good size.
My sister in Durango West has black currants. I started picking last night and will probably have a couple of weeks to go.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 11:49PM
More Discussions
Holly, potatoes!
I tried to send you an email but apparently the mobile...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Thornless blackberries in CO?
I've got a front yard veggie/fruit/perennial garden...
packardce
roof ice damming in Denver area?
I know this isn't garden related, but was wondering...
mstywoods
Great Backyard Bird Count - 2015
Great Backyard Bird Count - Cornell Hi all, It’s...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
Batten down the hatches!
Hi all, Well, NOAA just changed the Front Range (and...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™