My new favorite gardening toy!

highalttransplant(z 5 Western CO)July 29, 2008

I just received a Weed Hound in the mail today, as a belated birthday gift from my MIL. They sell them at Home Depot, but we don't have one anywhere near here, so when she asked what I wanted, this was what I requested.

You just put the end over the center of the dandelion, or similar type weed, step down, and pull it back up. I've found a 1/4 turn before pulling it up, works even better. As many dandelions as I have in my yard, I won't even need to worry about aerating this year!

Now if they only came up with a gadget that would take care of bindweed, I'd be all set!!!

Happy weeding!

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Weed Hound

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bpgreen(5UT)

I've been using a weed hound for years and I think it's one of the greatest lawn tools ever.

For best results, make sure the soil is damp when you use it. Get it right over the center of the weed and step down. Give it a half twist, then pull up by the knob on top. If you pull up by the handle on the side, it will sometimes let go of the weed.

Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 7:29PM
margaretmontana(4-5MT)

I also have had a weed hound for many years though I called it a hound dog a few times. It doesn't work well in the driveway but will work on any tap rooted weed as well as dandelions if the plant isn't too big. Here Ace Hardware caries them. I had to Google it to find out who carried it and have recommended it to many people.

Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 11:52PM
jnfr(z5b CO)

Now I've never heard of that one before! We have had very good results with a forced-water weeder we got from Lee Valley. It has a long slender nozzle that soaks down alongside deep roots and you can then slide them right out of the soil.

Not much help with bindweed though, but then nothing is.

Bookmark   August 1, 2008 at 10:25PM
nicole__(z5Colorado)

Cool! I've never seen one. Thanks for posting.

Bookmark   August 6, 2008 at 3:08PM
ecofloral

A hori hori also works fine! AM leonard makes a very nice one with a composite blade and an orange handle (so you don't lose it) If its a dig-able weed, the hori gets it every time for me.

Bookmark   August 6, 2008 at 11:57PM
More Discussions
Your Seed Catalogs
Are they showing up in the mail box? The 2015 Stokes...
digit
Anybody bored...wanna play a guessing game?!
Trying to figure out what this bush is. This photo...
lkcrawford
E-mail tree?
So, I was thinking, after the difficulty I had getting...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Something New in the Tomato Patch
Often, I have allowed a volunteer tomato to grow each...
digit
I could build that!
Well, why not ? No, that floor isn't sloping. There's...
digit
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™