bee balm

sorie6(6b ok.)July 13, 2010

I'm so mad. I bought bee balm at Paulino's it has meldew!! It hasn't got plants around it. There is lots of air. I wanted red it's pink. I thought Paulino's was a good place. Not to sure now!! Of course I didn't save the reciept!! what can I do for the meldew? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dan Staley

Very common. Not their fault.

Dan

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 6:16PM
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado

Hi Sorie,

What Dan says! Monarda almost always has mildew to some degreeÂusually bad! I used to try to not sell it to people, but theyÂd see the flowers and want it even after I warned them. So as long as you want to have bee balm, I think youÂre going to just have to put up with the mildew. In my experience you wonÂt find anything at all that will even put a dent in powdery mildew on Monarda! (There are now whatÂs called "mildew resistant" varieties, but by looking at them, I could never tell the resistant varieties from the non-resistant varieties!)

BUTÂDo you still have the plant tag that came in the pot? If you do, whatÂs the variety name? Some varieties that are described as "red" are really more pink or bright pink or something besides what IÂd call redÂkind of like "blue" perennials are almost always purple! But there really are "red" beebalms, and if you can tell me the variety name I can probably tell you if it should be RED or not. If you got one that really should be red and itÂs blooming pink, IÂd recommend digging it upÂwith the flower(s)Âand taking it back over there along with the tag that came in the pot. They donÂt guarantee plants after theyÂre soldÂthey have signs up saying thatÂbut if you bought one thing and got something else, IÂd expect them to stand behind that and replace it for you. You could call firstÂask for JohnÂand tell him what happened. Of if you just go, look for John inside or Cheryl out in perennials (have somebody call her on the radio if sheÂs there but not out in the retail area), and tell her about the problem. (Tell him/her Dee suggested you try to get your problem resolved.)

Post the variety name if you can find the tag.

Skybird

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 10:50PM
Dan Staley

I'd caution that plant tag colors aren't always right on and add to skybird's advice that the variety is important, not color. But powdery mildew is ubiquitous and loooooves bee balm.

Dan

Bookmark   July 14, 2010 at 8:11AM
More Discussions
I could build that!
Well, why not ? No, that floor isn't sloping. There's...
digit
New perennial bed, need some ideas and help
So, I brought this up to Skybird in another thread...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Howdy from Montana
Howdy to all you Rocky Mountain folks. . . I cant believe...
maidinmontana
Roses for the Front Range- Highly recommended type
Everyone, I'd highly recommend that you check out Buck...
richsd
THE Best!
We all want wonderful flower and vegetable gardens...
digit
Sponsored Products
Bee Glass Brush
$6.99 | zulily
Ant Bee Pendant by Robert Abbey
$396.00 | Lumens
Sunflower and Bees Theme Pendant Light for Kids' Room
ParrotUncle
Queen Bee Polished Stainless with Gold Leaf Two-Light Wall Sconce
$300.00 | Bellacor
Robert Abbey Ant Bee Pharmacy Head Swinger Plug-In Wall Lamp
Lamps Plus