Newspaper wrapped cuttings to be unveiled today!

growing_rene(7a/b)March 16, 2013

Hello everyone! I am new here and have been lurking on these forums for some time now. :-) I love trying to capture your experiences and recommendations. 2 weeks ago I wrapped my cuttings & am can't wait to see how thry are doing & especially excited that we are in the 70s today. Growing season is among us!

I, however, am slightly hesitant about removing the cuttings and seek your advice. Should I give them another week? I don't want my impatience to be detrimental to the cuttings!

Thank you all in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

I'm not positive but I thought they needed about 6 weeks in the burritos. I think two weeks is too soon.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 12:38PM
growing_rene(7a/b)

Thank you much for your response. I am afraid I need more patience. time for round 2! today was too pretty, I couldn't resist!

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 7:38PM
donaldvancouver(cool wet z8)

It's not like cooking rice; you can peek and it'll do no harm (actually you can peek at rice too.) Two weeks is good for many cuttings- some need longer. It depends on the storage temperature. After three weeks or four, you're likely to see them go downhill.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 9:22PM
roseseek

I peak, too, to see how they're coming along. Most require two weeks in the wraps. I've experienced leaving them longer than about two and a half weeks results in poor development, as if they've used too much of their stored nutrients and don't have enough left to continue rooting. Peaking is how I determined the last batch was ready in only ten days! EVERYTHING was perfect for that batch. All are planted and coming along. Good luck! Kim

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 2:42AM
growing_rene(7a/b)

thank you all so much for the responses. my cuttings didn't look as healthy as some of your pictures but a couple looked ok. I decided to experiment & put them on the north side of my house, next to the a/c, in hopes of extra moisture from condensation. I am hoping the soil will work well, it is nice & dark with a slightly sandy consistency. If it doesn't work well then I will be using mixtures in the future.
This is my first attempt with roses...too bad they aren't as simple as forsythia! Thanks again, I really appreciate all of your input.
thanks again!

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 8:08AM
roseseek

You're welcome Rene. Good luck! Watch that you don't put them where the air being blown out of the A/C unit dries them out. Part of the reason for planting them deeply until they root is to prevent them from drying out in the interim. The air being blown over/around them by the cooling unit will dry them out even faster, negating any benefit of the extra moisture from the evaporation it may provide. Kim

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 10:20AM
growing_rene(7a/b)

Good tip, I will make sure to watch out for that once it's time. thank you, I really appreciate this!

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 6:41PM
oldcrafty(8)

I wrapped about 12 cuttings burrito style Feb 23, I checked after 10 days and no change, I checked today and had 1 with good roots and 1 with slight roots starting. One the entire stem was already very dark brown as if it has already crashed. But to my amazement they all were covered in fuzzy mold ! Is that normal? I potted the two in hopes I will be them survive and moistened the paper and wrapped the others back up. Any suggestions? or tips.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 12:17PM
More Discussions
How do I name a rose
I have a pretty pink sport of Medallion I want to share...
kittymoonbeam
Rose seedlings coming up!
Just thought I'd let y'all know that I have at least...
vmr423
How does a Tea rose bloom on a Bourbon rosebush?
Could this have been caused only by having a Tea parent? or...
luxrosa
Chicago Peace Rose Help
Ok everyone I am looking for a Chicago peace rose for...
for_my_kids
my propagations normally turn brown/black
I have one that hasn't turned black. It has been in...
skmiller
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™