OT/cross post - Grand Junction vacation advice

happytobehomeJuly 8, 2008

Hi!

I posted this in the Home Decorating conversations forum and it was suggested I cross post here, so......

We're headed to Boulder, CO soon for our semi-annual visit with the in-laws. In the winter, we head to a ski resort for a few days, and in the summer we try to make a side trip. We've been to Colorado Springs, Glenwood Springs, Telluride, Denver, Golden, Summit County area, etc...

This year, we're thinking about a trip to Grand Junction. If anyone lives in Grand Junction, or has vacationed there, I'd really appreciate any information regarding hotels, restaurants, site-seeing, outdoor adventures (biking, hiking, rafting, fishing) etc.... I understand there are a lot of wineries there also.

I'm open to other destination suggestions for side trips from Boulder too! We'll be staying over a night or two, but would like to keep the drive to a half day at most.

Thanks a bunch!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
david52_gw

You might check out the hotel situation in Grand Junction - they're experiencing a major energy boom and decent rooms are in very short supply - we were up for a youth sports tournament in May, and even 6 weeks before, were unable to book a decent hotel. We finally found a hotel, but oh-boy.........

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 7:58PM
emagineer(z5 CO)

Glad you made it over here Happy. I'm bumping this so someone will see it. There are at least 2 people from GJ so hope they respond.

David is right, so much has changed over there and with this time of year there is the Wine Festival, Peach Festival, a huge week of country western stars and oil is moving in production heavily.

Perhaps a search for a B&B and definitely plan ahead. You can look at Fruita, Palisade or even go south a bit. If you consider white water rafting, call the companies and they can suggest hotels too.

Bookmark   July 9, 2008 at 8:12PM
happytobehome

Thanks emagineer & david52,

I have already found a hotel through hotels.com -- Hawthorn Suites. DH refuses to stay in anymore B&B's, and still refers to the last one as "The Bates Motel". Unfortunately the trip my be postponed a few weeks -- DH is working on a big case and might not be able to get away as planned.

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 7:16AM
More Discussions
Spring Swap official site
Good Day all, Just wanted to start an official site...
gjmancini
Something New in the Tomato Patch
Often, I have allowed a volunteer tomato to grow each...
digit
getting ready!
So I decided to remodel my seed starting this year....
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
E-mail tree?
So, I was thinking, after the difficulty I had getting...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
RMG - How do I do it -- Where do I find it thread!
Hi all, I just thought I'd start a thread here for...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™