A rose from Valentine's Day is growing new leaves

new_beeMarch 12, 2009

I have a very special rose sitting in a vase on my kitchen window sill that I would love to turn into a planting, if that is at all possible. I found out we were pregnant with baby #2 on Valentine's Day and DH bought me a dozen roses to celebrate. The roses were very pretty and I enjoyed them for about a week and a half. After they started to wilt, I took the vase over to the sink to throw them out and as I did, I noticed that one pink rose had started to grow new leaves and branches! In all of my years of getting commercial roses, I have never seen one sprout new growth (every time I see more new growth on that stem, I think of the new life growing in my body too.)

Is there anything I can do to grow my rose? I would really hate to see it die...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debbysunshine(san diego)

If your rose made leaves there's a good chance it will work. Mine go into a one gallon clean plastic pot that I've drilled extra large holes all over the bottom, cover with a coffee filter, a bit of plant charcoal, and I use a mix of Supersoil planting mix, low in fertilizer, mixes with Cactus and Succulant mix. You just do not want any fertilizers maybe for a year or until real growth begins. The leaves might brown and fall off but if the branches look healthy that's the best trick. Before you put the branch in the moistened dirt cut the lower thorns off and any lower branches and put in just a drip of Rootone. Sounds like a lot of ingredients but you'll use all this for other experiments again and again..

Bookmark   March 12, 2009 at 11:38PM
More Discussions
Hawaii conditions probably not conducive to burrito method
Just wanted to share, I attempted to do the burrito...
msdorkgirl
Question about growing from seed
So I looked outside today now that the snow has cleared...
lothlin
Best way to start from cuttings
I used to be really good at starting roses, and it...
LeeBeesGarden
Seeking R. Primula
I'd happily get this from a nursery if I could find...
Helen Forsyth
Rootstock question.
I haven't seen this asked so it is probably a really...
sowandgrow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™