Do you have to stratisfy Rugosa seeds?

stephaniesgarden(8)March 13, 2009

I just got my Rugosa Seeds in. I live in FL and here is the middle of march. The seller sent me 50 of 4 different varieties including Red Japanese, White Japanese, Father Hugo and Father David. One piece of paper said to stratisfy 3-4 months and the other said 90 Days!!! Do I really have to do it that long? If I started now it would be mid- June before I could plant them...then they start to germinate in July/August...wouldn't that be to close to the next cold season? What should I do?

Do I have to stratisfy for a full 3 months?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ptgrose(MN/4)

The short answer is yes. I had over 800 Rugosa seeds from three different plants last fall. I gave them a warm treatment at room temp for 60 days and then a cold treatment in the fridge. None of the seeds germinated during the warm treatment and the earliest ones started germinating after about 6 or 7 weeks in the fridge. The later ones took between10 to 14 weeks in the fridge. I have some seeds that are just now germinating and they have been in the fridge since Dec 1st.

I would recommend at least a 30 day warm treatment, but you may want split the seeds and try half with warm treatment and half without.

I am going to assume that the Red Japanese is R.rugosa "Rubra" and that the White Japanese is R.rugosa "Alba". But if Father Hugo is the rose IÂm thinking of, itÂs not a Rugosa itÂs an R.hugonis. Is it yellow? Neither is Father David, it is an R.davidii. They will be very different roses than the Rugosas and they will not repeat bloom. Check them out on Help Me Find Roses. I would treat the seeds the same anyway.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Father Hugo's Rose

Bookmark   March 14, 2009 at 9:21AM
More Discussions
Interesting rose rooting video on the industrial scale.
Just came across this video on stenting. It is amazing...
caflowerluver
Rose Tree Grafting Project: Hydra & Ninetails/Kurama
I've recently learn about the "40 fruits tree"...
blackjacket
cuttings for rooting
I have been a miniature rose lover for a long time...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Hawaii conditions probably not conducive to burrito method
Just wanted to share, I attempted to do the burrito...
msdorkgirl
Best way to start from cuttings
I used to be really good at starting roses, and it...
LeeBeesGarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™