Loquat Propagation

gobluedog(5)March 7, 2013

Has anyone propagated Loquat? I got a Plant from FL, i live in MI. It's getting tall. Can i cut the end off for more branching and use some Rooting Hormone in a small pot with a plastic lunch sack on top to act as a little Greenhouse? Will this work

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jsmith1776(9b)

They grow so fast from seed that I never had the need to propagate from cuttings. They grow like weeds. Seedlings pop up everywhere from birds that spreads them. Since, you live in MI, your tree may not have the chance for the fruit to ripen. Here in Houston, the flowers are pollened during Autumn and develop through Winter. The fruits ripen in Spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: This may answer your question.

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 10:47PM
roseseek

They germinate like the weeds they are here, too (Los Angeles). Give rooting it a try. It can't hurt anything and it may teach you something you didn't know, so you can teach the rest of us! They branch easily from pruning cuts so it seems exactly what the plant needs. Kim

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 12:42AM
bluegirl_gw

Same response: When I had them they had lots of seed-volunteer plants. Mmmm, loquats :)

But since you're in a cold zone now & it might not bloom & fruit, sure, I bet it will root easily from cuttings. Good luck.

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 3:30PM
More Discussions
Where to find the largest selection of Florist Roses?
I live in a pretty big city, Houston, but I am flummoxed...
kfoxxed
First time hybridizing -- Have a specific goal. Need advice
Hello, everyone! I have been thinking of trying my...
Greg
Need help eliminationg rose roots.
About fifteen years ago I planted a couple of rose...
wolfling
Rose Tree Grafting Project: Hydra & Ninetails/Kurama
I've recently learn about the "40 fruits tree"...
blackjacket
Grafting roses on fortuniana
Hi guys, Last summer I rooted various cuttings of fortuniana...
SoFL Rose z10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™