Black currant cuttings?

Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)April 11, 2013

Have you propagated these?..
I have taken some cuttings and put into a planting mix, plastic bag,.. how much of a succesrate I will have?
How warm or cold should I keep them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
overdrive

black currant easily propagates by cuttings, such as hardwood cuttings. i have not done other kinds, but these bushes are a snap to propagate.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 2:01PM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

That's good news, overdrive.
Any enlightenment on the procedure?

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 11:08PM
overdrive

it looks like ur from edmonton, so these are hardwood cuttings, basically. so i would just keep them in the fridge and check back in middle of June, hopefully there will be callus by then, and if you plant them in a spot that gets a bit of sun, but not too much, then hope for the roots to sprout and buds to open. that's what i would do. make sure they are in a sealed baggie in the fridge.

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 10:06PM
tkopari(Z4 MN)

I propagated them last summer from semi-hardwood cuttings in June and July. I used Dip 'n Grow at a 1:10 dilution, if I'm remembering correctly (time to start a log book). I rooted them in sand in my little greenhouse that has a misting system that's on for one minute every ten minutes. I had very good success, perhaps 75%.

Tony

This post was edited by tkopari on Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 12:52

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 12:50PM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Thank you all!
Yes, it's hardwood.
Had a hunch to keep it in the fridge but keep it outside now,...it probably shoots out and die,..I'll try the next batch in the fridge.

Have cut a few other cuttings with a little of the old wood attached,...as I have seen in a you tube video, he then just planted them in the ground. I placed mine in a bag and try at room temperature.

Had a hard time to find this thread [twice], but found it on Google, didn't know I put it on the rose propagation, I was going to put on the plant propagation, ...I'm pretty sure you guy's know it all anyway.

Tony, ..you did very well!
can you buy a little mister propagation greenhouse or have you build it yourself?

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:23AM
tkopari(Z4 MN)

I'm not sure if you can buy a little greenhouse outfitted with misters. I built my greenhouse out of PVC pipe (1 1/2 or 2") and attached Dura Skrim plastic sheeting with this black plastic strip that I can't remember the name of, nor find online at the moment. I used 3/4 or 1" PVC pipe to make the misting system. The actual misters are Netafim brand misters. I bought a timer that has a customizable misting cycle. I don't think the exact model is available any longer, but I'll post the model number tonight from home.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 12:15PM
More Discussions
New to the art of roses, but would greatly appreciate some cuttings ..
I'm fairly new to growing and maintaining roses but...
naeger129
Grafting roses on fortuniana
Hi guys, Last summer I rooted various cuttings of fortuniana...
SoFL Rose z10
Need help eliminationg rose roots.
About fifteen years ago I planted a couple of rose...
wolfling
Wanted: Rose Cuttings
Anyone have free rose cuttings they would like to give...
Gaia's Sacred Seeds
Chicago Peace Rose Help
Ok everyone I am looking for a Chicago peace rose for...
for_my_kids
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™