My first attempt at rooting...

dmg2242April 27, 2007

O.K., I prepared and planted my cutting last night. It's about 6"-7" long, I dipped the bottom and leaf nodes in rooting hormone. I made a couple of wounds about an inch from the bottom and put rooting hormone on those, too. I put it in a gallon pot with a 50/50 mix of organic potting mix and pearlite, watered it well and put half a litre pop bottle over it. I have it in indirect bright light on my patio. Should it be in a little more morning sunlight? Also, how often should I water it?

Thanks for your help!

Denise

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ramblinrosez7b(JerseyShore)

Hi Denise,

It sounds as though you did everything right. I have a few cuttings now that I started and have them in dappled morning light only for about 3 hours. I never water mine and I ususally wait until about 3 months to know if it took or not, it will start new leaf nodes on the sides of the cane. Never lift it out of the soil to check for roots, thats a no no. I use plastic cups and soda pop tops that fit flush with the rim of the plastic cups so the humidity that builds up on the top of the soda pop bottle goes directly down into the soil in the cup. This is the only water it needs. Others might water differently though.
Good luck with your cuttings!

Bookmark   April 29, 2007 at 8:12PM
dmg2242

Thanks Ramblinrose--
I've watered mine a couple of times--oops. I've noticed that there's really not a lot of condensation on the pop bottle. There's always some, but not a lot. I hope I haven't drowned it... I'll cross my fingers.

Denise

Bookmark   May 1, 2007 at 1:49PM
rozannadanna(8 TX)

you can also stretch a zip loc bag over the top of a gallon pot or even a solo cup - tighter fit than a soda bottle - I rooted thousands this way

Bookmark   May 2, 2007 at 1:15PM
More Discussions
Hawaii conditions probably not conducive to burrito method
Just wanted to share, I attempted to do the burrito...
msdorkgirl
Burrito Wrap Cuttings - What Should I Be Seeing?
I have tried the burrito wrap cutting method - the...
alameda/zone 8
Don't give up on your rooted cuttings too soon
I received this rooted cutting in a trade last summer,...
vaflowernut
First time hybridizing -- Have a specific goal. Need advice
Hello, everyone! I have been thinking of trying my...
Greg
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™