op hybrid teas vs. op english roses?

morningroseApril 6, 2006

Last year I grew some open pollenated seedling from some english roses. The ones that have bloomed are "English" looking medium to dark pinks. They are mostly very pretty doubles. This year I planted some op seeds from some hybrid teas like Blueberry Hill, Honey Perfume, Playboy, and Distant Drums. They are germinating really well, but the anticipation is too much! My Blueberry Hill has about 20% seedlings with light yellow leaves. I did some research, and It sounds like they are albinos, which won't have enough chlorophyll to grow, which is a bummer because if they did it would be really spectacular. Well I guess to make a long story short, I would like to know if anyone can give me a heads up on what to expect from my op hybrid teas as far a shape and color? If anyone has experience with the varieties I mentioned above, what were your results? Any info is appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diane_nj 6b/7a

Not really. BTW, none of those you mentioned are HTs. Except for Distant Drums, which is classed as a "Shrub", the rest are Floribundas. I would expect the form to be loose, but the colors could be anything at all. Good luck!

Bookmark   April 6, 2006 at 5:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosyone(z8 north Louisiana)

Playboy has several well known children, including Scentimental, Betty Boop, and Flutterbye. Blueberry Hill and Hot Cocoa are grandchildren. HelpMeFind doesn't list any descendants for the other roses on your list but at least you can check out their parentage to get an idea of what might be in the gene pool. Just look up each rose of interest at the link below, then click on the "Lineage" tab.

Here is a link that might be useful: HelpMeFind search

Bookmark   April 6, 2006 at 7:28PM
More Discussions
rose cutting in plastic bag
I've taken 2 cuttings from a rose - picture attached...
lenarufus
cuttings for rooting
I have been a miniature rose lover for a long time...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Grafting roses on fortuniana
Hi guys, Last summer I rooted various cuttings of fortuniana...
SoFL Rose z10
Air layering
This may have been posted here but I could not find...
derby41
Another Houzz change-sending messages without following
Meredith posted this on the Antique Roses forum: In...
jasminerose4u, California
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™